1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll always be your buddy and pal... if you'll irrigate my ear canal.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Oct 13, 2011.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It's an ode to the Erie Canal song I had to sing in grade school. And now that I think of it, major foul on my part for not putting "ear(y)" canal.

Anyway, volume still up to 11. And the lady complemented me on my deep... ear canals. What else could I say but thanks?

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I had a massive earache as a teenager. The doctor used a huge syringe and pushed water in and sucked it out really fast. Several times. Finally dislodged a huge piece of wax as big as a nickel. The relief was instantaneous. I agree that the candeling is not the best way to clean your ears out. But having a doc do it the right way is always a good thing.

And DD, you get my vote for the thread title of the year.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

My doc told me to put peroxide in my ears (once a day?). Don't recall how often, but I never do it anyway.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Hydrogen peroxide in the ear - - let it soak a minute or two before "squirting it out" with a bulb syringe - - about once every 2-3 weeks will keep earwax from building up.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Get a Neil Med sinus rinse or NetiPot and give that a try for the sinuses. Works like a charm.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Well, you're just a modern guy.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was digging around in my ear the other day with a paper clip and pulled out a lump of shit the size of a pea.

Keys, bobbie pins, paper clips, ends of pens/pencils work well too.

Huh?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Neti Pot is invaluable if you have sinus issues. Some people might have an issue with pouring warm water in their nose, but man is it worth it. I just do it in the shower(!) so I don't have to worry about splashback.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I also had this done in a doctors office once. Doc told me "This is the only thing I ever do that totally cures someone immediately."

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

(Thread revival - hadn't realized it was so old)

I had told my mom about this, suggesting she look into it because she's freaking deaf. She ignored me.

Today, down with bronchitis, she went to the doctor and, in the process of getting a diagnosis for that, also wound up having this procedure done.

She said in one ear, out came black stuff "the size of a small cockroach" and ditto for the other side, only brown.

The doctor's comment: "I bet you have the TV loud in your house." Yes, yes she does.

She's too sick to tell if she notices an immediate improvement, but I'm looking forward to finding out if it worked.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. Feel like there's been a little congestion in one of my ears for a couple of months, but not sure what to try after a quick stop at the drug store today.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I have had this happen occasionally -- to the point of causing really bad tinnitus.

The "irrigation" thing is wonderful. Feels really weird, but once you're done, you feel like the world has been re-opened to you, at least your ears.

It's kinda like the first time I realized I was half-blind, went to the eye doc and walked out with a pair of glasses. Stuff far away started looking clear again.

Draft saved Draft deleted