1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Il Papa è atterrato!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Sep 22, 2015.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would love to see St. Patrick's Cathedral, especially now. My parents grew up in New York. My mom, the daughter of Catholic parents, has, several times over the years, suggested the church as a place to see for visitors to NYC.

The pope was shown on TV being given one of those bobble-head dolls of himself. He laughed and looked delighted with it.

And to the question of why the pope's visit is such a big deal, it isn't just the fact that he's the leader of the Catholic church, it's that he's also obviously a charismatic leader of the Catholic church. Sometimes, those terms are anathema to each other. That's not so in the case of Pope Francis.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

4. WriteThinking

That's a good link to see, and, of course, it blatantly politicizes what appeared to be a nice, and important, moment between Pope Francis and Sophie.

But it doesn't bother me too much that this was planned, and apparently executed perfectly and with no harm to anyone. That's actually impressive, and good.

The group, however, missed what could have been a more important point-making opportunity, because most Americans -- even those who have problems with open-door immigration -- don't really take issue with children being here.

The part of the immigration issue that needs to be addressed, and answered for, just as perfectly, favorably and harmlessly as this little plan was, is the one that involves border problems, and the transfer and trafficking of illegal, and sometimes-criminal crossing of adults and goods that aren't here to make life better, and, indeed, are up to little or no good. That's when it disturbs and angers people.

Taking the soft, warm and fuzzy approach to cover for the very real negative and even dangerous aspects of immigration just takes advantage of the fact that the Pope no doubt is a good, influential man, without actually solving or bringing about reconciliation over the real causes of ill will surrounding the issue.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

7. sostartled

sostartled Member

My building in DC was closed on Thursday, and we strongly encouraged telework on Wednesday. Both were among the easiest travel days I've had in 9 years. I watched the Pope's motorcade when he left Congress from the roof of my building (on Constitution, Ave) and got a great video of him waving from the FIAT.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've seen this a few places and am wondering if it could possibly be true.

So the Pope speaks to Congress and doesn't mention Jesus Christ once?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He wasn't wearing an American flag pin either.

Aieee, aieee, aieee.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I watched twice as much Francis TV on Saturday as I did college football. Some great stuff.

11. WriteThinking

I agree. A lot of it actually is/was quite compelling. You didn't turn the channel quite so quickly and easily.

12. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted