1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Il Papa è atterrato!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Could this be a sign of a kinder, gentler sj.com?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Fuck no ...

3. Vombatus

I was hoping you would reply "Fuck off, Vombatus!"

Close enough... got some f words in the Pope thread. I am happy.

cjericho, doctorquant and HC like this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I mean, he is the spiritual leader of 1.2 billion people (roughly 17 percent of the world's population) on his first visit to the U.S. It shouldn't be a surprise that media outlets in the most Catholic state in the Union (44 percent of Rhode Islanders identify as Catholic) would assume that a significant portion of their viewers have some interest in the visit.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I cover a certain topic in my main class, I have a cool video that shows the production of communion wafers. Turns out the biggest manufacturer (of communion wafers and altar bread) in the world is in Greenville, RI. (http://www.cavanaghco.com/home)

BTW, you'd think Maryland would be more Catholic than it is (seeing as how it was founded as a place of refuge for Catholics).

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Update: There's a 14-square block area (which includes my building) that will be closed to traffic beginning at 10 am for a 6:45 pm prayer at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Police barricades are already lining the streets in the area, wooden ones along the avenues and metal ones on the streets. They haven't moved my homeless friend Mike yet. Another guy at the corner of 48th and Madison has set up a card table where he's selling Pope and Donald Trump buttons. I have a meeting. Then I'm going to get the fuck out of here, although I may stop to pick up a Pope button on the way to the train.

As a side note, the scaffolding outside and inside St. Pat's came down about a month ago and the place is really breathtaking.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Cran, if you see a Pope beer bottle opener, will you buy one for me? I need it for our softball league. I'll of course repay you.

I am serious. We've used Pope bottle openers for over 20 years, and we need a new one for this new guy.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I would pick one up for myself, too.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You ought to pick up one of these, too
    pope.jpg

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

make that three!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New anchor says that Congress was instructed to not applaud during the speech.

Pope opens speech by saying he's happy to be in in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave. Congress immediately gives him a standing ovation.

My favorite part was Chief Justice Roberts looking down the row to his fellow Justices, and they decide to join in the ovation, followed by the military leaders further down the row.

Obviously, during a State of the Union speech, they would refrain from doing so but, America Fuck Yeah!

And, as I've typed this, he's been interrupted by applause two more times. I'm having a hard time understanding everything he's saying, but the first instance he said something about "human dignity", which is usually a euphemism for being against abortion. The second time he was speaking about the poor. So, one for each side, I suppose.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Who cares about that nonsense. What did he say about the weather?

Draft saved Draft deleted