1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ikea

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The Future and I have some of their stuff ... the coffee table and in-tables have held up well. Dishes and pots and pans are good, considering I paid no more than $6 for each set.

Do I want my house full of it? Hell no.

And I'm with JR on building the stuff. Cake walk.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think a trip to Ikea is a great little afternoon.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My kitchen chairs are from Ikea. I've had them for almost (gulp) 17 years and they are still in great shape. Some of my "good" furniture hasn't lasted nearly as long.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The key to building IKEA stuff is to buy a torx bit for your cordless screwdriver that fits those IKEA screws, then throw out that IKEA wrench as soon as you open the box.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't know, JR, I think it's the chair. You be the judge:

[​IMG]

6. You should turn your crappy Ikea coffee table into an awesome guitar:
    http://www.zacharyguitars.com/120300pics.htm

We've had a pair of their bookshelves for four moves and more than 15 years, and they've held up great. But anything with that white laminate finish started falling apart within a week.

7. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

The scenes in Fight Club about feeling empty inside because you're more concerned with the new Ikea catalogue than anything else made me think I was a dunce for shopping there.

It's very hit and miss. I have a pull out sofa that has taken a beating and still works/looks fine. That was six years ago.

And I've had some things, like a dining room chair, that caved like balsa wood.

Don't know what my advice is, but it's not all total crap. Some of it is "total crap.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Luggie: You shopped at Mood? Did you pick up some flowy patterned thing and say "Oooh it's so ... ULI!"?

9. standman

standman Member

Son's dresser broke down in six months. The bed and other stuff is fine. Wife was determined to shop there.

If you want to see what beats a guy down most, it has to be furniture shopping. Watch when a couple goes into a furniture store. She's beaming and he looks like he's about to go in front of a firing squad.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You should stop following me around the store.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. I would dig that.
    Although, I'm sure the tone sounds like crap.
    Looks very cool, though.

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Half my apartment comes from Ikea.

Draft saved Draft deleted