1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ikea

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Feb 21, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Am I the only one who finds their stuff TOTAL CRAP?

If ever there was a store where "You get what you pay for, it's Ikea."

Now, if I could just convince my better half of that.

Thoughts? Where do you buy you furniture? (in this case, we bought a shitty coffee table)

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree, sosueme.

it's total shit.

fine for your first post-college apartment, but not if you want stuff to last.

i think it's a product of savvy marketing, much like krispy kreme, which make disgusting deep fried sugar sweeter than a splenda and sugar milkshake. people will believe anything if you convince them it's good.

i fucking hate buying furniture even more than i hate buying clothes. i guess we buy from the big chain furniture places around here.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Some of Ikea's stuff isn't bad. A lot of it, probably the majority, is rubbish.

I do own a few things from there. I also purchase from a local place that has some decent stuff.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I hate the way their sizes are all metric and don't match my sheets, etc.

A friend says this about Ikea:

The best Scandanavian furniture China can make.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

At least that made me laugh, a half hour after putting together our new rickety coffee table.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't even change the air filter in my car, or put air in my own tires.

If they think I'm putting together furniture, they are out of their damn minds.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We have one piece from there. It is in my walk-in closet now to hold underwear and it is falling apart.

We have some reasonable antique stores near us, and that's where we've bought most of our furniture.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It gets no better in the future:

[​IMG]

Farnsworth: Bad news, nobody. The super collider super-exploded. I need you to take it back and exchange it for a wobbly CD rack and some of those rancid meatballs.

9. OTD

OTD Active Member

We used to buy a fair amount of stuff there. Some of it, like the bookcases, my computer desk and a table in my garage, and a former dining room table, has held up great. Some of it, like the chairs that went with the dining room table and a dresser for my son's room, fell apart in a week or less. You take your chances along with your lingonberry jam.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

While far from perfect, I like Ikea for its raw simplicity of design.

I've only got a couple pieces left from three or moves ago and wouldn't buy anything from there anymore simply because I can now afford better stuff, but I'm glad it was around when I was younger.

Some of their gadgets and smaller items, like the hanging cubes for my closet, are now the reason I shop there (when I go... which because I'm in a small city means the nearest Ikea is 3-plus hours away).

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Strange you say that. I started looking around our place, the one Ikea book shelf we have is indestructible and so is the kitchen table.

But the coffee table, end tables and a TV stand SUCK.

Our bed, dresser, entertainment unit, couch and end tables all came from a good furniture store.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good meatballs, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted