1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ikea Beds

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking around at new beds right now, and found one matress in particular to be quite comfortable when I was at Ikea. Of course, since nothing those Swedish fuckers do can be easy (first time walking around that store today, and I felt like I was playing 7-4 in Super Mario Bros. for the first time ever) it mentions something about needing a slatted bed base. I've already got a regular bed frame in my room, so what the fuck are they talking about? Is it worth it to deal with what looks like stupid headaches?

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I wouldn't buy any major piece of furniture from Ikea.

A slated bed base is often used with a futon mattress. If you have a regular bed frame with a box spring, you shouldn't have a problem.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

First time I went to Ikea I deemed it to be a cross between Sam's Club and Disneyland. :)

Ikea beds are just mattresses, no boxsprings. The mattress rests right on wooden slats that are part of the bedframe. If you've already got a metal four-sided frame and want to keep it, then you'll need a boxspring and THEN put the Ikea mattress on top. Or you can just buy the Ikea frame and mattress and skip the boxspring.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I have an Ikea mattress with a slatted bed frame (what? I was in college and broke when I bought all my furniture). I have had absolutely no problems with it several years into ownership. It's not a mattress that you can sink in to, but I prefer that.

Slatted bed bases are frames that use pieces of wood or a large sheet of plywood instead of a box spring. I'd imagine you could use a box spring in its place with no problem.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Anyone shopping for a bed should know that they'll never find a better mattress than the SelectComfort ones. Best money I've ever spent.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Awesome.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You would know, I suppose, Big Sleeper!

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Are their beds still all kinds of weird sizes, as they were 20 years ago, or have they now adopted the double-queen-king standard?

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I have an IKEA mattress that I bought over five years ago, and I really like it. It's comfortable and held up well. No complaints whatsoever.

And yes, it's a standard Queen size.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That, indeed, is a very strong effort outta fb.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The next time I go into an Ikea will be the first. There's one between here and D.C. and I get the "let's stop there" every time we return home from a Nats weekend. I pretend not to hear until we are well past the exit.
    Uh, whaaa? You say something?

Draft saved Draft deleted