1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ike Turner dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ike Turner, rock pioneer and ex-husband of Tina Turner, dead at 76

SAN DIEGO (AP) _ Ike Turner, whose role as one of rock's critical architects was overshadowed by his ogrelike image as the man who brutally abused former wife and icon Tina Turner, died Wednesday at his home in suburban San Diego. He was 76.
    "He did pass away this morning" at his home in San Marcos, in northern San Diego County, said Scott M. Hanover of Thrill Entertainment Group, which managed Turner's musical career.
    There was no immediate word on the cause of death, which was first reported by celebrity Web site TMZ.com.
    Turner managed to rehabilitate his image somewhat in his later years, touring around the globe with his band the Kings of Rhythm and drawing critical acclaim for his work. He won a Grammy in 2007 in the traditional blues album category for "Risin' With the Blues."
    But his image is forever identified as the drug-addicted, wife-abusing husband of Tina Turner. He was hauntingly portrayed by Laurence Fishburne in the movie "What's Love Got To Do With It," based on Tina Turner's autobiography.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I guess Heaven needed a wife beater.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Women's shelters everywhere just lost a poster child.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Death to Ike: I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean it.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

What's rigor mortis got to do with it?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

LAY OFF ME!!! Someone already pulled out the Heaven needed... line so I was admittedly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wasn't he quoted once as saying "I didn't beat my wife anymore than anybody else beat theres.."

Or something like that?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not exactly husband of the year material, but a giant of early rock and roll as a songwriter, musician and band leader. He wrote the immortal "Rocket 88" one of the first - according to some, maybe THE first - rock and roll songs.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess that he reached his Nutbush City limit.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. I sure hate to hear this. I had no idea he was that old.

He certainly wasn't one of Mississippi's finest citizens, but goddam that guy had one hell of an influence on the music we have today.

RIP another Clarksdale legend.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted