1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ike photo question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Sep 12, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Wow, you called me a newb. I'm so hurt that I think I'll schedule an appointment with my therapist.

You can try all you want, but you're not going to get under my skin. I simply don't care.

I assure you I'm not 23 (wish I was again), and I do have a firm grasp on our business and life in general. You honestly think that because I don't think exactly like you and don't run my life in the exact same fashion as you that I don't understand our industry? Dude, that's narrow-minded.

Just because we have different views on one particular topic doesn't make one of us better, or more correct, than the other. Learn to appreciate all walks of life, not just the ones who think exactly like you.

And I stand corrected. It's nit-picking. I think knit-picking has something to do with digging for a booger while knitting a sweater.

Peace, love, journalism.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm tom petty, dog. tom petty also happens to be a journalist. being a journalist doesn't define who tom petty is.

and if you're still living your life based on what a bunch of profs told you in j-school, your grasp of life and this business is shallow.

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I understand that, and being a journalist is only a part of me, as well. But that part of me believes that if I'm a journalist at the time, then it's my duty to report on what I'm covering and to not have an effect on the events at hand. That's all I'm saying. It doesn't really have to do with what some prof taught me. OK, it does a bit, but it's something that what taught to me and I agree with. Trust me, I don't agree with everything that was preached to me. I'm an independent thinker.

Regardless of our differences on the issue we're debating, I enjoy -- and appreciate -- the banter.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good enough. peace in the middle east.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Peace in the Middle East? Never happen.

Consider this thread hijacked.

Take care Tom.

6. jps

jps Active Member

extreme example, yes, but baby floating down the river ... my notebook is on the ground. this isn't even a question. the 'not sure what you'd do until you're there' line is bullshit. if you don't know what you'd do, you'd probably do nothing. just as you said you'd do. you got your story. you did your job. hoofuckingray. baby's dead. but at least your journalistic code's intact.

christ. you should call the rocky mountain news for advice on a follow-up piece ... maybe you can twitter the funeral.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

duuuuuude, we "peaced in the middle easted" just a minute ago. it's all good.

8. jps

jps Active Member

hey, I was late to the part, tp ... gimmie a break. I see something sick and wrong, I gotta point it out. you know how I roll, my friend.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

peace in the middle east, dog. peace in the middle east.

10. jps

jps Active Member

but what about the former u.s.s.r.? can we still have a good tussle there?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sometimes, when the baby floating down the river is in a wicker basket and lands in the bulrushes, you just have to let biblical destiny hold sway.

12. Magnum

Magnum Member

Anyone not familiar with the story of photographer Kevin Carter?

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/odds_and_oddities/ultimate_in_unfair.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted