1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ike photo question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

How do we even know Kim Christensen didn't try - or even succeed - at getting help for those dogs?

Aren't we making more than a few assumptions here?

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Ok, but only if you promise to get my good side.

4. Hoo, I agree with you on not interfering with things, but I think issues of life and death have to come first.
    Your ethics of humanity are more important than your ethics of journalism.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Thanks for at least understanding the not-interfering-with-things side of my beliefs. It's just something I don't make exceptions for. I'm reminded of George Carlin's wisdom:

"If everything that's ever lived is dead, and everything that's alive is going to die, where's the sacred part come in?"

We're all leaving this place some day. How, when and where it happens to the next person is none of my business -- especially if I'm on the job.

I may be in the minority with that thinking, but then again, I don't like being like everyone else. Most people are boring.

6. Those words are easy to say. Could you really follow them, though?
    You're covering the hurricane and you see a baby in a cradle floating away. Could you really just document it and not do something about it?

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Demo,

You are very correct. Situations like you just mentioned I don't think anyone can say what they'd do until they're actually in the situation. Sort of like if you're married and your dream girl tries to seduce you. What would you do? You have theories, but you truly don't know until it happens.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

saving a helpless child is not a theory.

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

OK, now you're just knit-picking. I was talking about situations in general, not specifically saving a "helpless child."

You can throw "helpless child" into any argument and win it.

I'm simply saying there are situations in life where you don't know how you'll react until you're in them.

I'm not out to harm defenseless babies.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but if you did nothing, like you said you would, you wouldn't be harming a defenseless baby. you'd simply be doing what they told you to do in j-school.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Or, you'd just be knitting like my aunt does in her nursing home.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, this newb's need to do what the profs in j-school told him to do makes me believe he's about 23 and really doesn't have a grasp of what the business -- or life for that matter -- is all about.

really, 'gola, when's the last time you used a prof's wisdom to guide you through the day?

Draft saved Draft deleted