1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ike photo question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Sep 12, 2008.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I've temporarily changed my avatar because it was the quickest way to a version of this AP photo.

Here's the cutline:
    Two dogs were left in a back yard of a home were the storm surge of Hurricane Ike is rising, on Friday, Sept. 12, 2008 in San Leon, Texas. Hurricane warnings were in effect over a 400-mile stretch of coastline from south of Corpus Christi to Morgan City, La. Tropical storm warnings extended south almost to the Mexican border and east to the Mississippi-Alabama line, including New Orleans. (AP Photo/Kim Christensen)

Would you run that photo, knowing what the dogs fate likely is about to be?

2. Babs

Babs Member

Dogs are better swimmers than people, aren't they? Maybe they will be OK.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

True, but they can't climb roof's and whatnot as well as a person could.

As to the thread question, won't there be better art later?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

6. I wouldn't decide against the photo because the dogs probably died. That just seems silly.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I realize we're not the story...but there's no way I could take that picture then leave those dogs there. I'm sorry.

8. I thought that too, Mrs. Tyrie.
    Journalistically, I think you should.
    But as a human being, I don't think I could.
    It'd be a rare case where I was a journalist second.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

:-*

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup... I agree. Ms. Slappy sees this thread and she's going to be pissed.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I honestly don't know how I could even take the photo to begin with.
    I don't know how I could leave them there. Those poor things have no idea whats about to happen. That's the sad reality.
    A person you see on a roof top or something, you could at least say hey, they knew what was coming. they had a chance. It'd still be hard not to try to help them, but it's justified. Hard to see those dogs and not try to do something. Then again, if you're down there on this assignment, they probably weren't the last left behind animals you saw that day.

And I will be removing the photo in a few hours, for my own sanity if nothing else.

Draft saved Draft deleted