1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IJAG is flustered by computers again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 26, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's what I've done, tell me if this is what you mean (computer illiterate).

I have since gone to my living room, unplugged the black wire running out of my modem and unplugged my router. Waited. Plugged back in. No change. Unplugged that PLUS two other black cords. Waited. Nothing. So I went back out, unplugged the entire power strip (in case I unplugged the wrong plug) and the router. Waited. Plugged them back in.

2. what is your cable modem doing? Mine, for example, has four green lights that rapidly blink...does yours look normal?

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah. That's what I meant to say. :D

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You've rebooted the computer, the modem and the wireless router. Several times. They're all apparently working right.

Call the cable/phone company. Once everything downstream of the broadband modem is sorted out and the problem's still a problem, it's their problem.

5. That's what I was getting at...If you have Comcast, it's them, not you.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Are you trying to suggest COMCAST SUCKS?

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

What kind of router do you have? And how old is it?

You might have to reset your router (this is different than just unplugging the router from power then re-plugging it in.)

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Go back to 9600bps dialup.

9. If you have a cable modem and a wireless router - first connect your laptop directly to the cable modem. That will rule out the wireless router.

If that doesn't work the power everything down while you are away and then try again after a few hours. Then and only then spend the hour of getting really pissed off at Comcast tech support trying to upgrade you to a voice package instead of dealing with your problem.

Oh and try cranberry juice.

I hear its a natural diuretic.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

One other thought: This happened to me once, and I did the unplug-everything-and-plug-it-back-in trick a time or two, and was still getting no results.

Then I discovered my cable modem has a battery backup -- so power wasn't actually ever getting cut.

Pulled out the battery pack, put it back in, plugged modem back in and all was well.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Interesting. I'm out of town until late tomorrow night, but I put our ex-roommate on the case before I left. Maybe she'll figure it out.

Otherwise, I'll just keep stealing my neighbor's wireless until my roommate gets back. She handles all the bills and stuff so I'm not even sure the account number or anything like that.

12. [​IMG]

Good morning, IJAG.

Draft saved Draft deleted