1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IIHF 2012 World Juniors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 25, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Swedes win and deservedly so.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

To those who say, "Only Canadians care about this tournament", here you go.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There's no doubt the players and coaches from other countries care, it's the fans and media who have to go to the games overseas who don't give a shit about it the way Canadians do. As TSN will rediscover over the next two years.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Does Gord Miller annoy the hell out of anyone else, or is it just me?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No fan here but he was somewhat more tolerable this year without McGuire. I thought Ray Ferraro was very good, he covered all the same ground as McGuire without the bombast, ridiculous coach speak and brown bunny shout outs to junior and college coaches.

Ferraro brought a players' perspective to the tourney and it was amusing to hear him talk about his 1983-84 season with the Brandon Wheat Kings when he didn't get a sniff from the junior team despite having 50 goals by Christmas. He finished with 108.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think Ferraro is the best colour guy out there. I don't know what it is about Miller, I just have never been a fan.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I like Gord Miller a lot And I agree with JC about Ferraro. Best colour guy around and that includes CBC and NBC.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Except, according to TSN, one million Swedes (out of a country of nine million) watched this year's semi against the Finns and last year's Gold Medal game was the most watched sporting event of the year in Russia.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ah, so picking this team has always been political? Figures.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The 2012 world junior tournament in Edmonton and Calgary set a new attendance record, according to Hockey Canada...571,539 total fans.

Not bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted