1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iHeartLayoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 15, 2020.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Kevin and Bean did their radio show in separate cites for like the last 10 years. A newsreader on WBZ got called out when he said something like "the weather outside is brutally cold" when he was doing the show from his winter home in Florida. Apparently it has become pretty simple to set up a studio in a home if the person has the money.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Geraldo Rivera does a morning show for the big iHeart AM station in Cleveland. He has a home studio setup. He lives in the Cleveland burbs.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of the classic country stations here has a DJ who telecommutes a few days per week. You can tell when he's actually at the station because he'll mention "here at our studio located ... " and have other radio station folks drop-in for chit-chat. When he's at home, it's just info about the songs.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Steve Czaban does a morning show on 97.3 in Milwaukee (an iHeart station; the show started just last year) and an afternoon show in DC on a non-iHeart station. He lives in Northern Virginia. He's talked about his schedule and set up a lot on his podcast, which is separate from either show.
    He goes to Milwaukee about one week a month for a blizzard of meetings with advertisers, appearances and face time at the station, then comes back to DC where he lives at the end of that week. I think he does a lot of day-to-day work on both shows out of his home in Northern Virginia. They've referenced the occasional technical difficulty on the afternoon show that forces his co-hosts to vamp for a couple of minutes until it's fixed.

justgladtobehere and playthrough like this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Geraldo Riveria lives in the Cleveland area? I would have never thought that.

Liut likes this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Local full-service radio has been dead for a couple decades. I wouldn’t be surprised if Entercom soon puts together a network for its all-news stations: 20 minutes out of a half hour hour are national, 10 (including stop sets) are local.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a longtime fan of all things Cincinnati, and when living in Florida many years ago I was paired on the first tee with a guy named Gary. He said his first name and that he was in radio when I asked him what he did, and I almost screamed back -- "You're Gary Burbank!" He was delighted to be recognized, and indeed he did his show from a home studio in Ocala.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Loved him. Was a huge Reds fan growing up in NW Ohio and listened to Reds games on WLW all the time. So naturally I tuned into Gary Burbank's show before the games quite often. Will never forget Earl Pitts, Uhmerican. And I don't know if they came up with it, but they called Reds pitcher Bob Owchinko the Human Batting Tee. What a nickname.

Chef2 and playthrough like this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people don't like him, but I could listen to 4 straight hours of Bill Cunningham and Seg go back and forth.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, guy in our neighborhood who co-owns the AM in the next town (that doesn't have enough power to reach us) has a basement studio that would be the envy of any station in the country. It's amazing. And he sells insurance full-time to pay for his part-time hobby.

To the question of local radio rights fees, I've searched and can't find a decent answer. It's obviously less than back in the heyday of radio play-by-play. The Tigers and Red Wings have a multi-season contract with their flagship, then appear to work separate deals with any affiliates. I'm guessing the 6,000-watt FM in Alma pays a lot less than WXYT, but is required to carry the network ads.

How much? I can't even hazard a decent guess. 162 games, four hour time slot, 48 affiliates. Maybe $10,000 a season for the far-flung low-watters, $250,000-$500,000 to run the network? Seems low but radio is loose change compared to the MLBAM and FOX deals.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted