1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ignorant or racial profiling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lamar Mundane, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

So you're in Israel, should you use the yarmulke or the wording this journalist uses to describe Obama's headwear?

Earlier, Obama donned a Jewish skullcap at Israel's Holocaust memorial and vowed to preserve America's close ties with Israel in a visit to the Holy Land where he also promised the Palestinians to push vigorously to win them a state.

Then, let's jump into the liberal media's coddlying of Obama

Obama clearly was trying to allay fears on both sides on how he would tackle their stubborn conflict.

Many Israelis are concerned that Obama — a first-term U.S. senator with little foreign policy experience — would push Israel too hard in negotiations with the Palestinians. His family's Muslim roots have added to the unease, even though Obama was raised as a Christian and remains a practicing Christian.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25810989/

1. IT's A YARMULKE - skullcap congers images of Napoleon Dynamite's karate instructor or gangbangers.

[​IMG]

2. Obama might have Muslim's in his family tree but no one in his immediate family was/is a practicing Muslim - why include that paragraph without attributing it to ANYBODY?

spelling corrected ... too much rage against the Mainstream media.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Actually, it's a yarmulke.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Or kippot. (sp?)

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen it keepa, Zeke.

But these are Hebrew words, which would be written using the Hebrew alphabet, so the English spellings tend to change. That's why you see Channukah spelled so many different ways.

I really don't see the problem with calling it a skullcap.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Later version just has "skullcap" instead of "Jewish skullcap." A slight improvement.

6. Calling it skull cap strikes me as the equivalent of saying, "She wore a Muslim head towel." Why not use the proper term?

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I've never seen it referred to as a skullcap. This Baptist boy is waiting for Adam Sandler's next witty ditty to see what he rhymes skullcap with.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"I'll take ignorant for $200, Alex"

How did that "skullcap" get past an editor?

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

THIS is ignorant...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good question. I should clarify. I don't think it is a good word choice. Just not sure I'd call it offensive.

11. Most likely lazy, I think.
    The reporter didn't know the proper term and didn't care to look it up, or, worse, was actually trying to say something demeaning.
    I bet it was the former.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I agree. The writer didn't know how to spell yarmulke and was too lazy to look it up.

Apparently so was his editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted