1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ignorant coaches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Oct 6, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You mean he finally got found the GED certificate at the bottom of the cereal box?

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Because I have this belief that people have the ability to be kind and rational. Unfortunately most of the people that have been critical of me seem to be lacking basic human kindness.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Same could be asked of you. And me.

If he's such a troll and you find his comments unbearable -- ignore them. Otherwise, get over yourself.

/high horse

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Think about it, Indians. What possibly could a person be doing on a bus that could occupy 5 hours?
    The coach promised something, it didn't happen. I'd be a little peturbed, too.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think you're asking too much, markvid.

6. indiansnetwork

You have never apparently played on any sports team riding a bus. Being on the bus is not exactly the best time or place to be making phone calls, especially to reporters. Everyone seems to be missing the point that the athlete called later at a time that was more appropriate for him. I am not certain of all the details of the exchange of this information but it would have been a good idea to set up a time that was mutually good for the parties involved. Instead of asking for just the interview, also ask for some time to be set aside so the interview can be conducted in a fair and open way. Most of the time you will get a better interview when you set something up in advance. Instead of getting a poorly spoken interview you can slow things down and take better notes and go into greater detail. You efforts match your results. You have to think forward instead of just trying to rush things along. I have never worked for a paper and most likely never will but if your boss tells you to get a interview by (x) time and you have a communication problem like what is described above you have to push it off or use known details about the athlete and write an article without an interview. After this set up a good time for the parties involved and do a very detailed interview.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've played on plenty of sports teams where I had to ride a bus, and you're still an idiot.

8. indiansnetwork

I am glad you can be so forward and be judgemental. I am sure no one has ever criticized your work or life style because I am sure you are perfect.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And sometimes circumstances dictate that you go through the coach and you are pretty much at their mercy. It didn't sound to me like the coach was willing to set up a specific time. You're assuming Beef had control here that I doubt he had.

And just saying, "Fuck it, I'll use know (did you mean known?) details about the athlete and write without an interview?" Well, that just shows you are correct. You probably never will write for a paper.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Enough said.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

::) ::) ::)

Are you like five years old or something, indiansnetwork?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No, he's right. I am perfect, Trey :D

Draft saved Draft deleted