1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IFC Media Project

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herky_Jerky, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I don't know if this subject has been broached before here, but I wanted to get your thoughts on the IFC Media Project.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it airs every Tuesday on the Independent Film Channel (IFC) and runs a couple pieces examining the media and how the media covers -- or doesn't cover -- various stories.

It seems like the kind of show that would be well-liked here.

Tonight's episode included a piece on the shitty business reporting before the current recession and another piece on the lack of coverage of the Atlantic Yards development in Brooklyn. In that segment, NY Daily News Editor Martin Dunn came off looking like quite the prick.

Anyways, I was just curious how many of you watch said show and what your impressions were.

2. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

No one? Really?

3. Sounds interesting. I will check it out, but haven't watched it as of yet.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Must not have a busty, blonde newsreader.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

It's the Independent Film Channel. I'll check it out, though I'll never shake the MTVNews stigma form Gideon Yago.

http://www.ifc.com/on-ifc/mediaproject/

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Watching now. Thanks for the tip.

7. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

My bad. I knew that.

Next week's episode about reporting in the Hispanic community looks pretty interesting.

As for Gideon Yago, I always considered him the lone bright spot on MTV.

8. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

So, I'll admit this week's episode wasn't quite as intriguing some in the past, but I still feel like I was able to take away some things.

The News Junkie thing about reading the last pages of a Google Search first was interesting.

Also, the first piece, on the Latina reporter traveling the nation by bus to find the Hispanic-themed stories was interesting. I especially liked the line she had about "American media have a story and finds the people, whereas foreign media talk to the people then find the story."

Seems pretty simple, but it's probably true to a certain degree.

9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

The new season started this past week. It airs on Sundays now.

Anyways, the segment I'm watching now is about the struggle and opposition to putting Al-Jazeera English on the American airwaves. It launched in 2006, but right now, there's only a couple towns in the U.S. that actually can get it through their cable provider.

One of them is Burlington, Vt., which held a town hall meeting to discuss getting it. There's a group fighting its inclusion, saying it's nothing but terrorist propaganda. One of the dudes who opposes it just threw out this gem of an analogy ...

"What would happen in a pedophile organization decided they wanted to make a channel? Should we have that on the network."

10. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

You can get Al-Jazeera English online at ...

http://www.livestation.com/aje

11. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Apparently, I'm the only one who watches this show.

But next week's episode should interest us all as it is about what is going on with newspapers today, including a segment on the Rocky Mountain News.

It airs Sunday at 11 p.m. (EDT).

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I watch My Boys because the main character is a "sports writer."
    Never heard of the show but it will be in the DVR queue.
    Thanks for the tip.

Draft saved Draft deleted