1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you've got cereal, she's got the *milk*

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — A woman who doesn’t want her breast milk to go to waste has taken out a newspaper ad in hopes of selling it.
    Martha Heller, 22, took out an ad in The Gazette newspaper offering 100 ounces of her breast milk for $200 or the best offer.
    Heller said her freezer is overflowing with breast milk she has pumped since August. Her 4-month-old daughter won’t drink from a bottle and the supply is piling up.
    Heller now donates to the University of Iowa’s Mother’s Milk Bank, but the 100 ounces of milk she wants to sell were pumped before she went through the screening process for the bank and cannot be donated.
    Linda Klein, a lactation consultant at Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids, said breast milk can generally be stored in a freezer for up to six months.
    Heller said she researched laws regarding the sale of breast milk and couldn’t find any in Iowa.
    Don McCormick, a spokesman for the Iowa Department of Public Health, said he was not aware of any laws in Iowa restricting the sale of breast milk, but that state health officials advised against it.
    Heller said she hasn’t received any legitimate calls about her ad.
    “There was one prank caller,” she said.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll hold onto my 1 percent milk. Thanks, though.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hope her dog is OK. ...

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

$2 an ounce? I don't know what the going rate for boob juice is, but doesn't that seem a little ambitious?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It should be $200 or breast offer.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think there is a going rate for boob juice. But how much does formula run? I suppose it should cost a little more than Similac, so long as it's still the healthier drink for the babies. I'm not sure if it is; it's been a few years since I was on the nipple.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fixed.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's not true. Today marks 21 months since I've seen a nipple. Duh.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You are NOT using your time on the internets wisely.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Thanks for looking out for me, but I meant in person. Otherwise I'd probably have killed a person or three since February 2006.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's always appreciated. I have a feeling the clock is ticking, though.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That first picture is ridiculously awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted