1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're in an airport, stay away from this book...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Apr 4, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And pick up again on the return flight where you left off without batting an eye

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You nailed it, Boom.

It's the print version of a popcorn movie.

3. The problem with airport books -- and I have a sweet-tooth for Jack Higgins's stuff -- is that they pile up at home and there is absolutely no chance of your ever reading any of them again.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

public librairy is perfect for airport books for that reason. Takes a bit of planning but worth it.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A lot depends on your taste, but of the popular novelists you typically find at airports I tend to agree with JR that Elmore Leonard is about as good as it gets these days. Carl Hiaasen's stuff is always a lot of fun and I don't mind a little Nelson DeMille, either.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I don't mean for them to seem loaded, Boom, honest.

And I think your answer is a good one.

Follow-up: Is there a difference between an "airport" book and a "beach" book?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I usually give them away to someone if I finish reading one on a plane. We also have a bookcase at the office to which everyone donates their paperbacks.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sell them to a used bookstore

Have a garage sale

Donate them to your local library.

A number of years ago I took about five cartons to the nearby Mimico Detention Centre although I'm not sure many of the inmates made it through "Godel, Escher & Bach" :)

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tim Dorsey

11. Canada -- Home Of The Most Literate Criminals In The World

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Same except beach book has to be paper back. No sense putting hard cover to elements

Draft saved Draft deleted