1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're in an airport, stay away from this book...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Apr 4, 2007.

1. come on, you know i've read this...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We do have a whole "books" thread on here. Lots of suggestions there.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Was on a plane not too long ago and some guy was reading this book. The woman who was sitting next to him asked him how he liked the book so far, and he replied with a resounding, "I love it."

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know what airports it's at, but there's a bunch of airport bookstores that you buy the book at one airport, read it on your flight, then you can trade it in at the next one for like half your money back, allowing you to buy a new one. I think. I can't remember the exact details. But I did it during one long trip. I didn't have books to lug home, and I got to read two of them on the trip.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whitlock- pick anything up by Web Griffin- His books in Corps series are best .

His new series "By Order of President" is also good. 3rd book in that series is just out - The Hunters. perfect airport read . there is always a slew of his paper backs in airport.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Second the Michael Connelly and John Sandford nominations. Love Harry Bosch.

Try John Lescroart, his series with Dismas Hardy, a SF attorney, is very good. Start from the front, though, so you might not be able to find the first book at an airport.

You should be able to find some Caleb Carr unless you're flying from a very small airport. "The Alienist" is outstanding, as is his other book, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that Harlen Coben is a good airport pick.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Jason Whitlock's first airport novel.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Hopefully it will be on Swin NashCash.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Honest question:

What makes a book an "airport" book?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

J- don't take this the wrong way but it always seems like your questions are loaded as opposed to honest. Some poor slub will provide honest answer and you will procede to tell him why he is wrong .

That said I think airport novel is something that is light reading but has way of locking you in to story early on. Idealy it will make time go by very fast because you are so locked in.

My gage is when my flight lands and I stay in seat still reading until I absolutly have to get off plane

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elmore Leonard. Best dialogue writer going.

Stephen King (read "It" on a flight from London to Toronto. Time just zipped by).

Used to be a huge Robert Parker fan but after a while all his books were baically the same.

For the life of me I don't understand the popularity of Clancy. His stuff is almost unreadable or, as FB would say, just inches from actual English.

This may sound odd but Charles Dickens would be a great airport book--if you could actually find anything by him in an airport bookstore.

Draft saved Draft deleted