1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're having money trouble ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 1, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

... I always would recommend taking a look at Dave Ramsey.

The Nashville Scene gives a pretty good snapshot:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Cover_Story/2007/05/31/The_Gospel_According_to_Dave/

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This is one man who became insanely rich by preaching common sense. He just added a little faith to it and now his grandkids' heirs probably won't have to worry about their finances.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i like dave's advice and used to listen regularly. after you listen for a while, you get the message: don't buy on credit (except for the house), pay off your debts, build an emergency fund of 3-6 months living expenses, contribute 15% to your 401k and then get into mutual funds.

a lot of it is common sense, and for the most part, he does not go overboard with his message of faith. it's really about living within your means though he can be a bit militant about it.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Amen.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

oh, and another reason i don't listen so much anymore is that are way too many people with sad financial tales, and it gets depressing.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

But that's part of the reason for listening. "Hey, I'm not doing so bad, after all."

7. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

There's almost nothing in Ramsey's lessons that couldn't be described as "common sense" methodology, but that doesn't make it less worthwhile.
    One thing he pitches that only made sense after I thought about it: Pay off your smaller debts first, not necessarily your high-interest rate ones. Then apply your extra payments to the larger debts.

I also recommend David Bach's "Automatic Millionaire" if only because it shows up how much cutting a few dollars here and there can add up in the long haul.

Draft saved Draft deleted