1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're going to rip someone in print, you might want to fact check

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, May 12, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Take this columnist ripping Rich Rodriguez.. he's so intent on trashing him tht he forgets this teensy little fact -- Anthony Carter went to Michigan, Cris Carter went to Ohio State, Chris Carter was a star at neither school.
    So here's to you Bob Hertzel!

"The No. 1 uniform meant a lot to Edwards. It has belonged exclusively to a wide receiver since 1979, dating back to Chris Carter. It wasn’t something that was given out arbitrarily, as Edwards learned. He had to work for it, his first two years not being allowed to wear No. 1 by coach Lloyd Carr."

http://www.timeswv.com/wvu_sports/local_story_131002457.html

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does it matter whether or not you're ripping someone? Shouldn't you fact check in all cases?

Either way, that's a pretty silly mistake.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Of course you fact-check in all cases. But I think if you're going to get indignant about something or somebody you come off as looking even more foolish than normal when you put you foot/typewriter in your mouth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. The Times regrets the error.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

More importantly, I'd be pissed if I were Edwards, who provides a large scholarship to the athlete who wears no.1, only to find it was given to a first-year DB.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. I thought fact-checking in all cases was a must. Perhaps, I needed to explain more thoroughly...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Edwards is pissed, which is probably what prompted the column. He was quoted - I seem to recall - as saying the number dated back to Anthony Carter.
    Hertzel is a hell of writer - he got his Carters mixed up. Yeah he screwed up. So did an editor, who should have caught the mistake.
    How 'bout cutting him a break?

BTW: On another W.Va related note, did anybody else notice long time Daily Mail columnist Chuck Landon is now working at the Huntington Herald-Dispatch?

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Hell, my latest issue of SI referred to Quentin Graves (in a box) and Quentin Groves (in a story) on the same page. And yes, they were talking about the same guy.
    No excuse for sloppy mistakes. Zee-row.

Draft saved Draft deleted