1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're furloughed, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I took my week the latest I possibly could and then called my sister and asked her if I could work for her for a week to compensate for my lost income (She owns a few businesses in my home town).

No. 1, it will be warm by the time I take my furlough...

and No. 2, it gives me the most possible time to find a job before being forced to take furlough...

2. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I was on furlough a couple weeks ago and have to take another week sometime in May and June. If you are not working and not by choice, then in essence you are laid off for the week. Furlough is just another word for temporary layoff. Most states when you file unemployment have an option that says "hours reduced".
    But file the unemployment claim!! And make sure to do it the first day on furlough in case the state has any questions.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'll be filing for unemployment for the week (if we get one, nothing's been announced), and then flying home to my mother's for the week. Mom said she'd pay for my ticket, which is about what I'd make that week anyway.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Take care in filing for unemployment. My claim, which is not furlough-related, is delayed and headed to appeal because of numerous inaccuracies put in my application by the state worker I drew in the phone lottery of the call center.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This is a little wrong... you can't file on the first day of furlough, at least in my state, you have to file after 12:01 a.m. Sunday of the week AFTER furlough.. for example, my furlough just went from March 15-21, so on the 22nd, I went online and filed for unemployment.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We were just told about our furloughs but they can be any five days in the second quarter and they're "voluntary."

There are even FORMS to fill out indicating which days we'd prefer to furlough. Basically, they get that we can't be missing people five days in a row (and that we can't go missing a full week of pay all at once) but maybe one person each one day won't be so bad for all involved.

Here's my issue right now: I'm both the sports editor (the only sports writer) and the interim managing editor. The applicants aren't exactly coming along at a fast and furious clip, so I can't furlough (No one else has enough layout experience to fill in for me).

If someone were to be hired by the end of May, then I might only be able to furlough three days before the end of the quarter. But here's how I'd do it (at least in part).
    Friday of the week before (end of a pay period): Furlough.
    Monday-Thursday of the following week (the start of the next pay period): Paid Days Off.
    Friday of the following week: Furlough.

That first Friday, I'll just head out to mom and dad's. My mom will be too happy to cook my meals and I might be able to do some work at the auction house where my dad works. I might actually make MORE money that week than I'll lose.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Based on what some of my peers are doing with their furloughs, it bears repeating:

Update your résumé and plan for life after newspapers.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Try not to spend any money.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Hang in there, John D. I feel your nightmare.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Indeed. There's no sense in making it more of a loss.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'd just dig into one of my side jobs and hope I could get enough extra hours there to make it less of a hit.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Same here when it comes to receiving benefits.

As for whether to take it all at once or spread it out, I guess it depends what one is planning to do. If you're planning to use it like a vacation and travel, you'd probably want it in one fell swoop. If not, maybe spreading around wouldn't be so bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted