1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're furloughed, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Mar 23, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

absolutely. use it to look for something else. don't do any work.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's totally fine. Part of unemployment is to cover for temporary job loss. Think of a furlough as a one-week layoff.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I don't think that would be an issue, you just can't do any work.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

If it helps, it's not that way in Vermont. I think New York works the same way, you don't have to be off for more than one week.

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

This might be but is not necessarily true.

In Florida, as I understand it, the furlough weeks don't have to be consecutive for you to receive unemployment. In other words, if you're furloughed for a week in Q2, you can go ahead and apply for unemployment, and that week can be your waiting week. That way, if you're furloughed again in Q3 or Q4, you'll immediately be eligible for money because you've already gone through your wait week. I'm guessing many other states have similar laws.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I got my government cheese without waiting a week in Michigan.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been told you can collect unemployment as long as you don't work a 40-hour week due to furlough. Can anyone confirm this?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In my state it has to be five days straight. Not necessarily in the same week, but five days straight.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

In PA, yes:
    So you can actually earn 140 percent of your UC benefits before your compensation for that week reaches zero.

10. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

I'll tell you what I'd do man. Two chicks at the same time.

11. I checked and my state has a one-week waiting period. So I would get nothing this round, but would receive benefits if there's another round of furloughs.

I don't doubt we'll have another round, but I can't really afford a 50 percent dip in my pay all at once. I'm going to take the 10 percent per paycheck.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm using my furlough days for when my parents come out in April, to go to my university's graduation in May (several of my friends are graduating) and to have one day to bum around my apartment, clean, unpack before my parents get here and get things in order.

Draft saved Draft deleted