1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're Canadian and like music ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herky_Jerky, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Yes, I am serious. I have always liked Adams songwriting and music composition talents. He also won the Juno Lifetime Achievement at the Juno Awards that were presented in Halifax (Chris Martin of Coldplay presented him with it). Adams was one of Canada's artists who paved the way for other Canadian musicians to try to find success in the American/international market.

Huggy, I agree with you about the Guess Who.

I saw Colin James recently at a show here and he is one amazing artist: mixing up his style with different genres of music.

Jim Cuddy's solo effort was great. I saw him in concert last November (almost exactly a year ago) and I saw him at Juno Fest preforming with Tom Wilson of Bucky and the Rodeo Kings (he lives in my neighbourhood), Barney Bentall and a couple of other artists in what they called themselves True North Records Revue. Point being that Cuddy's one of those artists that is great to see live in concert.

Tragically Hip are another group that I have seen live, this past September at the Metro Centre and I am still surprised that their success has not gone outside Canada.

Flash, I mentioned in my first post on this board yesterday about his new CD. If you haven't already gotten it, and you are a Neil Young fan, you should. One of his best works.

A great songwriter is Gordie Sampson and he can also put out a great solo effort. He has found songwriting success in Canada and in America (Jesus Takes the Wheel, Carrie Underwood, and he has written for Keith Urban, and Faith Hill covered his track Paris). I think we will see a lot more of him in the future, for his songwriting talents.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If Tom Wilson lives in your neighbourhood, ask him why he changed the name of his band from Blackie and the Rodeo Kings. Tell him I miss the Florida Razors too.

Bryan Adams has enjoyed much success worldwide but I don't know if he exactly paved the way. Long before he hit it big, the Guess Who, Neil Young, Rush, Triumph (as awful as they are), Saga (huge in Europe) and even Anne Murray had laid the groundwork for Canadian acts worldwide.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cansports:

Hey, don't get me wrong. I think Adams was a very successful musician and "Summer of 69" is a pretty damn good song.

But as Huggy says, there were an awful lot of other groups who paved the way before Adams --long before--and if it were a toss-up between him and Neil, Neil'd win every time.

4. Whoa.
    Neil Young vs. Bryan Adams is supposed to be an argument?

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No love for the Stampeders?

[​IMG]

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've always thought one of the reasons the Hip never found much success in the States was because they were too Canadian, if that makes any sense. They sang about hockey and small towns in Ontario much like another giant of Canadian music, Stompin' Tom Connors.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Ding ding ding! We have a winner ...

8. Flash

Flash Guest

And yet I still don't see Finger Eleven ...

9. Cansportschick

We don't have shitty taste. It's called pundits who don't know where the good music is at. I mean, we are supposed to take the nominations for Jaydee Bixbee seriously? Come on, are you kidding me? He did not desserve to be in the Canadian Idol finale. He is destined for Nashville bar karaoke nights in the saloon, nothing more.

Bedouin Soundclash is a group who like Colin James has infused many different genres into their style of music. I do like the group a lot and have seen them live. Bastards though cancelled their gig here.

Billy Talent deserves props for their music too.

If you all have not seen Buck 65 live, you have to do it. He did the Opening Gala party for NBC Universal for the Atlantic Film Fest back in September and he is really neat. Like his music style too.

Cowboy Junkies...now that is another shot in the past. Margo Timmins and her brother were good back in the hayday but I don't see anything susbstantial from them as of recently to put them on the list.

Never heard of Les Amis Au Pakistan......they have me intrigued though.
    Yeah, I defer to you on Young JR, but that being said, Adams was one of the prolific artists to help pave the way.
    There may have been other artists, but you can't say Adams did not help pave the way JR.

Huggy, I will ask him when I see him the next time. Do you guys know who his significant other is?

Saga, oh my damn!

Triumph sang that hidieous tune Knights in the Bright White Sportscar didn't they?
    Still trying to find their tune Hold On...for sentimental reasons.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

No. They did not.

It was Boys in the Bright White Sports Car.

And it was Trooper.

Please. Make Google your friend.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There are also a lot of bands in the States that are local heroes, but one mile outside their metro area or state line, they just didn't translate. Sometimes it's because local pride helps drive their success, rather than their actual talent. There was a band in Indianapolis for a while called the Why Store that at one point drew 15,000 for a local summer shed show, but their major-label release tanked and they were kaput a few years after their peak. In that band's case, having had the unfortunate experience of seeing them live, I would say their suckiness was the issue.

12. Cansportschick

Thanks for the info. However, I would never google something so hidieous as that....I named it Knights because of the following: I have a friend that went to his grad and the DJ sang this song to him and changed Boys to Knights because he was named homecoming King....I still can;t fgure out how they got knight from king ::)
    That is why Knights stuck in my head. :-[

Draft saved Draft deleted