1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're Canadian and like music ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herky_Jerky, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Fuckin' eh. Great post, Huggy. Saw Colin James and the Little Big Band last fall. What a show. I very desperately wanted to hear Five Long Years but he wasn't doing his rock stuff.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Funny ... we've gotten this far and no one's mentioned this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jann Arden's a great example of this. Of course the Tragically Hip are poster boys for huge success at home, little, if any, on the road. Kim Mitchell (who had 15 minutes o' fame some years back when "Go For Soda" was adopted as a song for MADD) and his old band Max Webster, could pack them in here but never made a dent elsewhere.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Last time I saw Colin James in 2006 when he was touring behind Limelight. He had a two-piece horn outfit with him but did none of his LBB stuff. (He didn't do "Five Long Years" that night either.)

I have tickets to see him and the LBB touring behind their Christmas album (out today, by the by) at Massey Hall on Dec. 21.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, like half the cast of "24" is Canadian.

A lot of Canadians bitch and moan about CBC (not me) but if it weren't for them, we'd never hear a lof of these musicians. I've never had a problem with CanCon.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Not sure where shottie gets the idea about Canadian actors and actresses ... Hollywood is awash with them.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, probably off-base on that.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I read an interview/story about Canadian actors and actresses--I forget who but it may have been Christopher Plummer.

One of the reasons Hollywood likes Canadians is because in Canada they're forced to be multi-talented. They can't just be stage actors or TV actors or film actors because there isn't enough work for a lot of them in any one area. So instead of being specialized or pigeonholed / when they end up in Hollywood, they're multi-dimensional and adaptable.

Don't know if it's true but it sounded reasonable.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It was the interview with the actress who plays the cafe owner in "Little Mosque on the Prairie". Was in the last ACTRA magazine.

Nice to know you're paying attention, hon. :D

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Gotta keep up with the big brain in the house.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Somebody mentioned Blue Rodeo earlier. Definitely another band that should have found massive success in the US. They were off to a good start when Rolling Stone gave their debut a solid review. They are way more talented than most of the roots rock/country bands down there. Jim Cuddy is a great, great singer.

12. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

First of all, I'd like to note that this might be the first-ever post that I've started that's actually made it to a second page.

Anyways, since I'm not Canadian, I have no clue about most of the bands that you guys are mentioning.

But I would like to throw out another link from that blog.

http://www.iheartmusic.net/serendipity/index.php?/archives/2007/11/05.html

It came out a couple days later and is basically the "Others Receiving Votes" list. I would assume most of the artists/bands you guys felt got jobbed are on this list.

If not, then you must really have shitty taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted