1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you're Canadian and like music ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herky_Jerky, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Also, does Vancouver count? Isn't it part of Northern California?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In Sunday's Chicago Sun-Times I saw a review of new Saga album. Saga? Really?

3. Flash

Flash Guest

No. More part of the Asian Pacific Rim ...

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sam Roberts and Matthew Good are pretty solid homegrown guys.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, new Saga? Wind him up, he can't stop....

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Bryan Adams in my opinion is the best export to come out of Canada and Sarah MacLachlan is a close second.

Chantal Kreviazuik and Raine Maida are such a talented couple. They can write damn good lyrics.

Matt Mays and Joel Plaskett are two local artists who are starting to get exposed more in Canada.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

[​IMG]

Rock on Canada.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bryan Adams? You can't be serious.

There's at least a dozen I could name ahead of him but I'll only say: Neil Young.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Sarah Harmer and Kathleen Edwards. The former's fantastic, the latter very good. Both quite Canadian.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bryan Adams had that awesome run with You Want It, You Got It, Cuts Like A Knife and Reckless. After that, absolute fucking shit.

The greatest musical exports - rock division - from Canada are probably Rush (I'm a fan and am not looking to start any flame wars here), Neil Young or the Guess Who, in whatever order you want.

Lightfoot is great, but I don't consider him a rocker.

I'll throw a shout out to my boy Colin James who has made nothing but consistently cool records, whether he's doing the straight ahead rock thing, acoustic blues or jump blues and r&b.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Huggy nailed them

I guess if you exclude Gord, Joni Mitchell's out as well.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Back when I used to get CBC on the big dish, it amazed me how many outstanding Canadian performers are absolutely unknown in the 50 states. I mean, they're Canadian icons (re: Jann Arden), and they only get 15 minutes of fame, if that much, in the U.S.

Same with many Canadian actors/actresses.

Draft saved Draft deleted