1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Were To Start A Newspaper Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, May 5, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Another question, assuming this is true: Are they breaking their stories up over 6 pages like some sites? Or are they being true to the story and just having it on one page?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good stuff Frank. No doubt the average reader ( I put myself in that category) has little idea the cost associated with each and every investigative piece that is done.

I share your concern for the future of that type of work.

3. JackS

JackS Member

If I were to start a newspaper today, I'd start it at Bellevue.

Skip the intermediate steps that put me there.

4. Boom_70

When did you get your computer privileges back Jack?

5. JackS

JackS Member

When I threw your name around. It carries weight.

6. Boom_70

Well I've generated a lot of business for Belvue over the years.

7. jps

jps Active Member

hey, f_t ... wanna start a paper with me some day? that's exactly right, and just what I'd recommend.

8. RushNMob

RushNMob New Member

Last year was probably close to $500,000. It was a good year for us. I have been told that we have the highest ad rates in the area and second place isn't close. But so far, people have continued to advertise.

I am lucky to have a good boss that cares about the product and the employees. I got a Christmas bonus that was just under $1,000 and everyone else has been here longer than me and definitely got more.

I think this year will be a different story unless Oil & Gas prices return to where they were at a year ago. But after reading the horror stories on SportsJournalists.com, I feel very lucky to have this job.

9. Boom_70

Thanks - sounds like you have a good gig at a shop with good business model.

What do you charge for your paper?

10. RushNMob

RushNMob New Member

We charge a $1.

We also offer online subscriptions which a lot of parents have been buying for their kids who are going off to college. But we have yet to make any money from online advertising in the year we have had our new site up and running.

I do have a good gig, but it isn't for everyone. We are pretty isolated and my salary isn't anything to get real excited about. I work a ton of hours during the school year, but I get a lot of 3- & 4-day weekends during the summer months to make up for it.

We are a tab and average 36-40 pages per week. The paper has been in the same family since the 50's.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

There's the key. Take the small and mid-size newspapers out of big business' hands and there's little to worry about. Make profit matter, not profit margins. Yes, things are moving online but a paper with this sort of local ownership won't cut so much before going there, thus preserving the quality of the product and its reputation in the community.

12. Boom_70

Most likely no debt service either. Many good companies have been sucked dry because of debt to cover leveraged buy out.

Draft saved Draft deleted