1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were reading about training for a triathlon what would you want to read?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sneed, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Hey SportsJournalists.comers. I'm starting a column that'll run the next four months for a newspaper basically chronicling my experience as a macho ex-college athlete embarrassing myself while training for a triathlon. If you were reading that, what type of stuff would you want to read?

It's not a huge deal, around 500 words every week plus whatever I blog about (whoo, blogs!) but I'd like every week to be awesome, obviously, so people want to come back and read it. I'd love to hear some SportsJournalists.com thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you have family? Work? I would be interested to know what you are giving up by putting in the hours on the bike, in the water, on the road and how you fit it all in.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One year it was my goal to do a triathlon - I ended up doing three of the "sprint" variety. The training was the best part because it really focused my workouts.
    Lesson 1) - there is a big difference between training in a pool and swimming in open water, like, no lane markers so you can't tell if you're going straight.
    Lesson 2) - just because you can complete the distance on a stationary bike, a treadmill and a pool, doesn't mean it will be a piece of cake when you take it outside.
    Lesson 3) - While the first one was my "Olympics" - I realized for most of the rest of the people it was just an early Sunday workout.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd want to read a message from Idaho, who thrives on triathlons and other forms of self-abuse under the guise of fitness.
    He's the guy around here...

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Training for my first half iron man currently. I think the question I'm asked most is how I put in a steady training schedule along with work and planning my upcoming wedding/reception.
    Also, the variety of different workouts I do, how I stay fresh, avoid boredom on those long runs/rides/swims as well as dealing with or how to avoid injuries.
    And no, I'm no great endurance athlete, I have no clue what I'm doing so I try to avoid giving any training tips other than online workouts I use.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Chafing.

7. Equipment. I know it's a counterculture all unto itself among bikers. As someone who would like to try an ironman before the big 4-0, I'm intimidated most by walking into a bike shop and not being able to speak the language.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I did a story on an Ironman guy who told me how all the best Ironman competitors piss and even take dumps while on their bikes.

I wouldn't like to know more about that.

9. The one about not dropping dead during a triathalon.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sure. If you want the easy story...

Draft saved Draft deleted