1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were an athlete, would reporters like you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Oct 3, 2007.

1. I'd go Ryan Leaf or Brett Myers' on someone's ass just for the fun of it.

2. In my not too far long ago prep career (played basketball in college, but I sucked and never got off the bench), I think I was a pretty good quote.

I always enjoyed talking to the media and I really tried to give them colorful, honest answers, especially after I'd been quoted once using an awful cliche like "it's been a long time coming" or something.

By the end of my senior year in basketball, I noticed that I was pretty regularly interviewed and made a couple appearances filling in for our coach on a radio show despite being only the third leading scorer on my team.

But, I may have opened my mouth too much just once.

Local writer is doing a story about our team on the verge of breaking a whole bunch of county 3-point shooting records. Other top shooters and coach give generic answers about having many different options in offense, having a staff that's always embraced the then 15-year old shot, having a good string of shooters in the program.

My quotes the next day jokingly said something to the effect that I was thankful our coaching staff loved to shoot the three, because if not I'd be the least useful player in the whole county since I was a suspect ball handler and defender. Next day at practice, shooting drills start and I'm relegated to the other side of the gym to do agility drills and work on ball handling for the next 10 minutes.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

TV would hate me. I'd be a dick to most of them like I am now.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I think I'd be a good quote, though I'd probably say some things from time to time that would get me in trouble.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"I'm going to Publix and shop," said John, the Food Lion Classic MVP. ....

Draft saved Draft deleted