1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were an athlete, would reporters like you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Oct 3, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Some would like me a lot. Others, not so much. I'd play favorites and make distinctions between outlets. But I'd be very candid with those to whom I choose to speak and I'd never go all Fregosi on anyone ... ever.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Reporters loved me in high school. I had a full page feature on me my senior year. I still have the clipping. Although some of my quotes were really bad, I gave him some good ones here and there.

3. statrat

statrat Member

I hate the press. So naturally I became a...reporter. I'd be the worst interview ever, particularly if I was a coach.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet a lot of us would be pretty bad interviews -- because we'd know better than to talk to most reporters.

Seriously, say you had a family member involved in some high-profile criminal case? Would you talk on the record to the media?

5. AP_Hack

AP_Hack New Member

I'd be a so-called "go-to" guy in the locker room. No question about it.

If I were a college or pro athlete, I would love the give-and-take with the press. I don't understand why more athletes don't get it. If you're a 'good media guy' as an athlete, the press usually gives you a break when things aren't going so good. Just human nature.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Reporters would hate me. I'm very introverted, say very little and am usually not quotable when I do say something.

Thank goodness no one is stuck with reporting or writing about me.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I've been interviewed on various things: golf tournaments, Jeopardy appearances. Because -- as my wife constantly points out -- I like talking about myself, I'd be gold. I'd be like AP Hack, the go-to guy

So gold, I'd probably get myself in trouble from time-to-time and I wouldn't suffer foolish questions rather well. But for the smart reporters, they'd get what they needed and then some, since I don't believe in lowest-common-denominator quotes. Take me for what I have to say or don't.

8. You bring up a very good point. In the few times I've been interviewed, I've learned more about how not to do things as the interviewer than how to do it well. I always keep that in mind when I do mine - not to say I haven't had some poor interviews.

But yeah, I would talk to a reporter if I think he's competent. I think most of us here are probably a pretty good judge of character - or at least the character of other reporters - to know beforehand if we're going to get screwed or misquoted.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i'm talkative, defensive and sometimes have an attitude. i'd be good. gave a very good one for the community paper back in the day, slamming the big daily for disrespecting us before a track meet. then we killed everyone. it was sweet justice.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They would love me.

I'm great copy.

I'm just here to help the ballclub.

I'm going to give it my best shot, and, the good Lord willing, things will work out.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If the reporter developed a rapport with me I'd be good, but I probably wouldn't say much initially. Though I am pretty sarcastic and defensive, so I might also talk crazy and get myself in trouble.

I've never been interviewed, so it is hard to say.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I'd be a go-to guy. I've got an opinion on just about everything and am not afraid to say it. But more than that, I love to joke around, so reporters would always have an ear open when I enter the clubhouse. However, if I were playing in a major market, especially New York, I probably wouldn't last long there because my mouth is always moving when I'm comfortable. There would definitely be plenty of words taken in the wrong context.

Draft saved Draft deleted