1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were an athlete, would reporters like you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If I were an athlete, reporters would like me so much that they would hand-feed me chicken after my games.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The folks coming with the "Talk about..." form of a question would have a 50-50 chance with me. If I felt like talking about whatever angle they were fishing for, I would. Otherwise, nope.

The even-more-lame folks making a statement ("Some game today") as a way of eliciting a quote would be out of luck. Think I would just nod or shake my head.

So I have a hunch that I'd be a guy the beat writers would like, but not the TV folks. Might have something to do with having a face made for print or radio, too.

Also, I would hate myself if I didn't treat the beat guys better, because of their work habits and familiarity with the team, than the columnists or features guy air-dropping in on rare occasions.

3. MoonoverMontgomery

MoonoverMontgomery New Member

No. Nobody else does. Why would they?

4. KP

KP Active Member

Well done.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure they'd like me. I'm kind of a big deal.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Apparently, I am quite popular here and also attract unwanted attention (last night was a good example ;D).

Based on that, I think reporters would like me. But when I call people out on their crap, they can't stand the heat, so that's when I could become unlikable. What can I say, I am too honest.

7. I don't know if they'd like me, but after interviewing me following my post-game shower, they'd at least respect me, and understand why my teammates nicknamed me "tripod."

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'd be a cross between Bill Lee and Curt Schilling. I'd be one of those guys columnists and talk radio hosts (even beyond sports) would be urging to STFU (right after they finished complaining about how athletes speak in cliches and have nothing to say).

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Reporters don't even like me NOW. If I was making more than they were, they definitely wouldn't.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I am an athlete -- Lance Armstrong's old doctor and coach told me so just last week. But I don't think I'd like me much. I'm boring.

11. boots

boots New Member

I didn't give a fuck. Accept me as I am or not at all.
    Reporters are for the most part the biggest bullshit artists there are. They live their lives through others. Many of the guys covering teams NEVER PLAYED sports. Yet, they consider themselves experts.
    Yeah, experts on nothing.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I believe there is such a thing as a stupid question ... so no, reporters in general probably wouldn't like me ... but I would likely draw one or two of the smarter ones in and give them gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted