1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were an athlete, would reporters like you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Oct 3, 2007.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Personally, I think I'd be fine as long as I wasn't being asked about my own accomplishments. I'd be uncomfortable talking about myself, because I'd always be afraid of jinxing myself.

However, I tend to be somewhat blunt, and also sarcastic, so I think reporters would see me as a guy who occasionally would drop them a useful nugget, but definitely not the "have a recorder under this guy's nose at all times" guy.

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

There's a reason I'm a reporter. I'm more interested in asking people about their lives than talking about mine. So reporters would hate me. I've got nothing interesting to say.

3. Hmmm, good question.

If I had a great day: I'd probably be modest, but they would groan that I wasn't more quotable. If I bragged about myself, they'd call me an arrogant hothead.

If I had a poor day: I'd probably not be in a mood to talk about it much so they'd groan I was a poor sport. If I tried to be chipper about it, they'd probably say I'm only in it for the stats.

If I was mad at my coach or my teammates: They'd grumble if I kept it to myself and call me a conceited jerk if I was honest about it (unless I looked like that Solo chick).

So, probably not.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I wasn't much of an athlete when I was in high school so I doubt reporters would want anything to do with me.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think I'd be that way, too. I'm pretty introspective, and I don't mind being asked questions about myself. Too honest for my own good sometimes in that respect ... all in all, I think reporters would like me.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Given my tendency to say batshit insane things during normal conversation, I'd at least be quotable, so I guess they'd like me a lot of the time.

7. Reporters would love me. I've got killer stylo!!

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'd like to think so, but somehow I doubt it. First dumb question and I'd go all Mike Mussina.

9. I'm in news so I've daydreamed quite a bit about being a councilman or something - usually during the boring meetings I'm covering. I know the reporters would love me then. I'd fight to keep everything open and then quietly feed the reporters everything possible from executive sessions.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm enough of a wise-ass, I'm sure I'd give great fodder for notes, columns and such.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I complain a lot. And I tend to open my mouth too much.
    So yeah, I think I'd be a hit.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have been interviewed for stories in the past. The largest being the LA Times. No kidding on that one.

I know having a writing background helps because I know what the reporter is looking for. I also know that giving good complete information helps the writer to not have to "fill in the blanks" so to speak. Filling in the blanks happens a lot on the news and feature side because they are so often writing about topics that they are not familiar with. A better more factual story is written when the writer has a good, solid understanding of the topic.

Draft saved Draft deleted