1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were a travel agent advising a visitor from Australia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Amy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can't imagine wanting to go to Buffalo in January.

It's also strange to me to go someplace and visit places as widely spaced as NOLA and LA or DC or Chicago.
    I was in India in January, and people are shocked when I say I didn't visit the Taj Mahal. But it was 1,500 miles from where I was. Like hitting LA and NYC on the same trip.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Spend at least a week driving from San Fran to San Diego along the coast.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If we're stuck with January, I'd skip all the cities after New Orleans and go straight to Cabo.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would tell anyone visiting from Australia to just go home. :)

Australia is on my bucket list of places I really want to visit.

That said, if they're coming to the U.S., I would advise them not to skip New York City. In fact, if it was me and I was coming to this country for the first time to see anything, and if I could only go to one place, I would go to NYC.

Probably wouldn't be as good in January as some other times of the year, but if that can't be changed, I'd still choose to go there over any other place.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Lute Olson, asked why he left a powerhouse program at Iowa to take over a bottom-feeder at Arizona, said something like, "I can decide when to go to the snow instead of the snow coming to me."

If your friend wants snow and wants San Francisco, send her to Tahoe.

Also remember she can see the world in Vegas -- fake New York, fake Paris, fake Italy, etc.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Depends when in January, but if the tree is still up, there is ice skating at Rockefeller Center and at Wollman Rink in Central Park and at Bryant Park, etc., January is not a bad time of the year in NYC. Honest. You just bundle up and head out.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You also have to be mindful how some people react to cold. I've known people from year-yound hot climates who become absolutley miserable in the cold.

It's hard to know what a person wants to see. I wouldn't think a visitor from Australia would be impressed by beaches here, but you never know. Some people, inlcuding me, just love the beach anywhere.

When I was in Nigeria, I wanted to go to a certain game preserve where they have one the few reminaing troops of lowland gorillas. The Nigerians thought that was ther stupidest idea they'd heard. More recently in Inida, I wanted to go to temples; the Indians wanted to take me to shopping malls.

It's tough to play host.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Lafayette's looking better and better.

Just sayin'.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I know a few Aussies living here and they like Oklahoma for some odd reason.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Janie is now considering planning her itinerary using song titles so Oklahoma would fit.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

New itinerary (off the top of my head):

Indiana Wants Me
    Sweet Home Chicago
    New York, New York
    I Left My Heart in San Francisco
    Galveston
    Kentucky Rain
    Battle of New Orleans
    By the Time I Get to Phoenix
    Kansas City