1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were a travel agent advising a visitor from Australia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Amy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Janie is a school principal so if she's going to do an extended vacation it has to be during her summer break, sticking her with being here in Jan/Feb.

Boston is a terrific idea, as are Charleston and Savannah. Good point about her not needing to see more desert.

Thanks for the Memphis/driving info. They were thinking of driving between Memphis and NO already so good to have support for that idea.

I did say they should reconsider NYC although I don't like NYC so didn't exactly push it. I had considered recommending Las Vegas. The idea that Janie would go back to Australia having spent most of her time here in New Orleans and Las Vegas didn't seem right, though.

If Key West weren't so out of the way I'd suggest that.

They have no interest in LA area and seem set on doing San Francisco - which would be my choice.

Fly - I'm from Minneapolis. I love Minneapolis. Madison is another great place. I can't send them there in January.

Appreciate the input.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

C'mon they MUST experience a true US Upper Midwest winter!

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love San Francisco, but I also love NYC.
    Beaches, like deserts/badlands, could be a tough call for someone from Australia. I'd recommend things that distinctly could not be done in Australia, but the time of year makes a lot options in mountainous or colder locations unrealistic.
    I have taken a California native to NYC and DC twice in Nov. and Jan. although she enjoyed the trips, she distinctly did not enjoy the cold.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would absolutely pick San Francisco over Los Angeles or anything else on the west coast. San Diego's beautiful, but also strikes me as a close approximation of Australia, so probably not high on the list.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love Las Vegas, and I do very little drinking and practically no gambling while I'm there. It's a hugely entertaining city. Winter's a great time to be there. too.

I think Sedona is much cooler than the Grand Canyon. My favorite spots in Arizona are actually Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly and Antelope Canyon, but those are all a long haul from anywhere.

(By the way, a note for east coast SportsJournalists.com: it's actually not so hard to imagine doing a city-hopping trip of the US without NYC. I won't even fly through NYC if I can avoid it.)

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Austin.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have West Coast bias, and in January/February, you can do a week, week and a half out there. San Francisco, wine country, then down the 101 coast (Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Morro Bay, SLO). Cut across and go through Death Valley -- if you've never been, it's pretty surreal; plus, you'll miss the 120-degree heat -- and hit Vegas. Go over Hoover Dam, up to the Grand Canyon, back down through Sedona, south and west over to San Diego and up to L.A.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Depending on when they're here, they could catch the St. Paul Winter Carnival. That's a pretty cool deal if you're from somewhere that doesn't get much winter.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Athens, Austin and Nashville, all easy jumps from New Orleans, would also provide a fun time. Or there's always Tahoe.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out just how to explain the Winter Carnival to her. I think I can do snow sculptures and ice palaces, but I may lose her at King Boreas and the Vulcans.

Someone I used to work with got married at the Winter Carnival - the quote about why the bands were cancelled cracked me up. http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/Outdoor-Wedding-In-Below-Zero-Weather/id-3baea3f6998adf6d901c9862840da9e9

ETA: Janie asked me to tell you that you are "good chaps" and she appreciates your help "from the bottom of [her] antipodean heart." She isn't sure about Minneapolis after checking January temperatures but has just about decided to visit a friend of ours who lives in the country outside of Buffalo. She wants to see snow.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Saying you won't visit New York on a trip to America is sort of like saying you won't visit Sydney on a trip to Australia.

January may not be the best time to come, but it's still worth a day or two, especially if you're going to be as close as Buffalo. (And if they are going to Buffalo, be sure to get them to Niagara Falls.)

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

If Buffalo, Duffs for wings (fuck the Anchor Bar) and Grover's for great burgers.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If Buffalo, Schwabl's for 'weck.

http://schwabls.com

Draft saved Draft deleted