1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you wanna stop the gay from spreading, you gotta catch it early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Mar 15, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Unbelievable.

I can only hope that this will prompt at least one scientist to stop looking for biological causes for homosexuality and instead try to figure out why the only Christians allowed to speak publicly are the ones who suffer from mental retardation.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/furor-over-baptists-gay-baby-article/20070315023809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

NEW YORK (March 15) - The president of the leading Southern Baptist seminary has incurred sharp attacks from both the left and right by suggesting that a biological basis for homosexuality may be proven, and that prenatal treatment to reverse gay orientation would be biblically justified.

The Rev. R. Albert Mohler Jr., one of the country's pre-eminent evangelical leaders, acknowledged that he irked many fellow conservatives with an article earlier this month saying scientific research "points to some level of biological causation" for homosexuality.

Proof of a biological basis would challenge the belief of many conservative Christians that homosexuality - which they view as sinful - is a matter of choice that can be overcome through prayer and counseling.

However, Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., was assailed even more harshly by gay-rights supporters. They were upset by his assertion that homosexuality would remain a sin even if it were biologically based, and by his support for possible medical treatment that could switch an unborn gay baby's sexual orientation to heterosexual.

"He's willing to play God," said Harry Knox, a spokesman on religious issues for the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay-rights group. "He's more than willing to let homophobia take over and be the determinant of how he responds to this issue, in spite of everything else he believes about not tinkering with the unborn."

Mohler said he was aware of the invective being directed at him on gay-rights blogs, where some participants have likened him to Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor notorious for death-camp experimentation.

"I wonder if people actually read what I wrote," Mohler said in a telephone interview. "But I wrote the article intending to start a conversation, and I think I've been successful at that."

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mohler saved my unborn children from the gay.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Maybe Ace could take his son to see Mohler. I'm betting there's some sort of concoction Mohler can whip up to knock out the gay caused by CBS.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Read about this yesterday, about had a stroke when I did.

Rev. Mohler is a lot like James Dobson, Pat Roberston and the ilk. They claim to be fundamentalists, but they always find ways to tweak scripture to suit their purposes.

So according to the good reverend, being gay perhaps isn't a choice, like his ilk once thought. Yet, while they will claim that life is created by God, who we consider to be a perfect being, we can tinker with it because being gay is wrong!

Well, what if God wants there to be gay people?

And also, why is it right to "fix" gay fetuses and not "fix" fetuses that have a number of actual diseases and deficiencies?

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The guys who proclaim again and again that God has spoken directly to them always amaze me.

Right. The same God who never spoke to any of the Disciples is discussing world politics and Biblical decisions with Pat Robertson and James Dobson.

For some reason, I think God's a little better judge of character than that.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Do I have this right? We're allowed to monkey around with fetuses to slap the gay out of them... But we can't monkey around with stem cells to find cures for REAL diseases?

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors... But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

so, there's no womb for error in this ideology?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I got a little bit of gay on me in Starbucks accidentally today. It was an honest mistake, a mix-up at the New York Times rack, and the guy totally apologized. But now I'm conflicted. I want to watch the NCAA tournament, but I have a secret urge to visit a bathhouse.

I'll let you all know how this works out.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did you immediately order a gingerbread, egg nog latte and ask them to stir it with a dick?

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No, no. That's only if you get a whiff of the gay while in the men's room. With full-on contact with the gay, especially when some trace of the gay is left behind, the order is a gingerbread, egg nog latte with extra whip cream, a cherry and dick on the side.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Does the story say anything about the bi curious?

Cartman Sucks:

Watch it before Viacom has it yanked

Who's your accountabilibuddy?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

FH, that is perhaps one of the best arguments I've heard about the whole gay issue, especially if the evidence supports that it's a biological thing, not a choice issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted