1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you voted Republican in either of the last two presidential elections...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 4, 2008.

?

How are you voting this time?

1. McCain

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. Obama

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Other candidate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Undecided

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Not voting

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Depends on what Obama does with Hillary

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Actually, the graf before it does, too.

2. No, not at all, but to each his own.

3. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I feel the urge to vote Democrat for "change" then I start reading up on the Farm Bill and the last energy bill and I can't get myself to do it.Bush had no sense of fiscal responsibility at all and the Dems are trying hard to out do him.

If one candidate stood up and said "Hey, lets drill for oil and start nuke power" they would get my vote no matter what.

4. Preach it.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Deficit reduction is a Republican thing because the only time in the last 40 years we've had any deficit reduction, it was with Republicans in charge of the purse strings. Yes, Clinton was the President. But if you'd been paying any attention in history or government class, the House writes the spending bills. Not the president.

I'd be just fine with a Democrat for prez if we had a GOP House and Senate. We won't, so I'll be holding my nose voting for McCain.

On the bright side, an Obama victory would serve very much like the Carter victory in 1976, and hopefully the next Reagan would emerge.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm probably voting for Obama. I'm hoping that getting their ass kicked proves to be the best thing that ever happened to the Republican party, so I'm very happy to help as part of that ass kicking.

As people have pointed out, there's a huge gap between what the Republicans claim to be about as far as gov size, and what they actually do. It's probably hard to be for small gov when you're in control, because you're just looking to expand your power.

So, I'm hoping when they get their ass kicked out of control, they'll go back to their small-gov roots (both economically and socially) and then I can feel good about voting for them again.

7. Not a bad logic train there, but I can't take that chance this year, not with this candidate.

The national-security issue trumps everything else. Lieberman would win my vote based simply on that. Hell, where's the modern-day version of Scoop Jackson?

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I am totally with you on that one.

I'm down as most on here know for McCain. I'm still praying he chooses Palin for VP.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I think I'm in love . . .

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, part of me will have to hold my nose when I vote for Obama, but I really think it's worth it. I can't stomach either of the parties right now, and this seems like the best way to get one I stomach.

And I'm not going to lie, the fact that the vote would be for the first African American president helps the medicine go down smoother, too.

11. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Can't vote for an African American just for that reason alone. But I would vote for Colin Powell and not regret it. Voting for the candidate endorsed by Hamas and Syria, however, doesn't work for me, nor I suspect a lot of other people.

Draft saved Draft deleted