1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you voted Republican in either of the last two presidential elections...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 4, 2008.

?

How are you voting this time?

1. McCain

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. Obama

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Other candidate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Undecided

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Not voting

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Depends on what Obama does with Hillary

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Thank you -- it looks like you have finally seen the light -- that Clinton's "surplus" was a bunch of creative accounting bullshit.....

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

To be accurate -- It was the post-1994 Clinton presidency, once the most costly and ridiculous pieces of his proposed economic packages, including Hillary-care, was soundly and universally shot out of the sky.

And once the Dem's got blown out in the 1994 elections and it looked like Clinton was a lame ducker headed for one term, he all of the sudden ditched the "we're the old-time liberal hippies" act and became a much more moderate president on many fronts and had a Repulican congress to hold his feet to the fire.

And this is why our country is better off with a Dem in the white house and the Repubs in control of congress.

In that case -- one side wants to spend, the other side then shoots it all down because it came from the other side and the result is a compromise that usually makes sense for all of us.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Both sides want to spend, because it primes the pump and creates pork.

Both Reagan and W have chuckled about signing spending bills, saying, in so many words, "It's not my money!"

One of the charms of the OLD GOP was its willingness to at least playact as if they were fiscally responsible.

That went out the window thirty years ago.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've voted for two Democrats in my life, and I won't reverse course in this election. Having said that, I'm not too excited to have McCain as the Team Elephant nominee. Third party? Probably not, as I'm in a swing state.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Yes, but I'm not certain with my decision. These were absolutes.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What strikes me about the results of this poll is that so few are undecided.

Extrapolate that to the population at large.

Take that small percentage of undecided, then only take the swing staters.

That's like two people.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The decisions that affect the most, are usually decided by a few.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

See, I take undecided to mean "I have no effin clue at this time." I have a preference, but could be persuaded to switch. I'm sure many others in this poll are the same way.

But if Hillary gets the Democratic VP nod, my McCain preference goes from 60-40 to 99-1.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It takes a LOT more than being a Republican to have voted for him in 2004

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, for three years in the 1990s I worked at a country club when I was in undergrad that had McCain as a member.

It also had Dennis DeConcini and Charles Keating as members.

Funny thing about this club was that Obama would not have been allowed to be a member there if you know what I mean. Hell, he would not of been able to eat there or play golf there as a guest if certain members were there.

McCain pulled his membership (which I think was a gift because of his elected office in Arizona) when Shoal Creek started dominating the news.

11. I'll vote for Obama unless.... Hillary is the VP. If that happens (sigh) I'll vote for McCain.
    So I put down undecided.
    I will not vote for a ticket that contains Hillary Clinton. I won't.

After her reference to RFK assination, I can see why she would want to be VP.
    She's thinking a black president might not go over too well and being VP might be just the ticket to the White House.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Perk and (lack of) principle together.

Draft saved Draft deleted