1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Voted For McCain in '08...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 18, 2011.

?

If you voted for McCain in '08, at this moment, who are you supporting for the GOP nomination?

1. Michelle Bachmann

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Newt Gingrich

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Ron Paul

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Rick Perry

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Mitt Romney

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Other (Please Specify)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Considering Voting Democrat in the Presidential

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. Likely Won't Vote in the Presidential

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. Jon Huntsman

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Rick Santorum

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd fire any pollster who was, since the 2010 midterms, telling me Obama was unbeatable. That's nonsense.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, there is a middle ground between saying Obama is unbeatable and looking ahead to Romney's second term already.

3. laretrac

laretrac New Member

Mitt Happens.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm answering Huntsman, but I honestly am not sure.

For the first time since I turned 18, I am not going to vote in the primary. This has more to do with the fact that I am again living outside the States and I have had trouble getting mail (and don't even know where a post office is) than anything else, though. In Morocco, it cost about $8 to vote and I did -- primary and general -- but here I don't even know how to go about it here.

But that combined with general uneasiness about the current slate of candidates doesn't make me enthused about the primary. My home state's primary, got moved up, too, so I don't even think I could register absentee anymore. In '08, my primary pick dropped out.

I will vote in the general election, though right now I have absolutely no clue as to who -- or if my favorite would be a GOP candidate at all.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Me too.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The one I'm doubting is Bachman. I don't believe there are 3 people here who voted for McCain & support her.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To be fair, I can't believe anyone supports her.

8. Some people think Lada Gaga is actually a grown up Jonbenet Ramsey. Some people think the New York Times is a well run business. Some people think Jon Huntsman is the lovechild of Mister Rogers and Doctor No.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Michele Bachmann is a change in the Pop Rocks formula gone horribly wrong.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He mentioned Jeb.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Rubio is much more likely - being young and an ethnic minority, he'd add a lot more to the ticket than Paul Ryan, who would also have the albatross of his Medicare "reform" program. Plus why would Paul Ryan want to give up the chairmanship of the House Budget Committee - where he has a lot of power - to be in a position where he'd have much less power in reality?

Another possibility, though less likely, is Bobby Jindal, for many of the same reasons as Rubio. He'd also have the advantage of having extensive executive experience. Also look out for Susanna Martinez, the new Republican governor of New Mexico.

Jeb Bush adds nothing to the ticket. His family has been there and done that. And after being the Governor of Florida for 8 years, why would he want to be Vice President for at least another 8 before getting a shot at the top job?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Mitch has to check with his wife.... still a no. (I figured the politically savvy would get this joke on this board.)

I voted for Mitt. Wanted Rick Perry and still would vote for him if he were the nominee, but I have a feeling Mitt's a foregone conclusion. I don't want him to apologize for Romneycare, but that's the main reason I'm holding my nose and asking "is this the best the party can do?"

And Colin Powell lost me when he backed Obama.

Draft saved Draft deleted