1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Voted For McCain in '08...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 18, 2011.

?

If you voted for McCain in '08, at this moment, who are you supporting for the GOP nomination?

1. Michelle Bachmann

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Newt Gingrich

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Ron Paul

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Rick Perry

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Mitt Romney

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Other (Please Specify)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Considering Voting Democrat in the Presidential

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. Likely Won't Vote in the Presidential

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. Jon Huntsman

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Rick Santorum

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Primaries are seen too much like elections anymore for the delegate distribution attained thereby to be thrown out. The brokering will be, "we will cheer for Romney's nomination, and you will adopt the Tea Party/evangelical platform

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and the Great Middle will say, "WHAT? They said WHAT in the platform?"

It'll be like '64, in terms of scaring moderates to death.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Romney wins the nomination, I'll bet he begs Christie to run as VP.

I kind of have a feeling Christie might say yes.

4. Mizzougrad96

I don't have a strong preference between Romney and Gingrich. I like Huntsman best among the group, but it will be interesting to see if he's still on the ballot when my state's primary happens.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

1. Newt or Mitt wrap up the nomination early in the process.

2. After they've wrapped it up, it becomes clear both are terribly flawed...let's say the anti-Mormon evangelicals are vowing to sit the election out, and Newt turns out to be a crook of some sort.

3. The economy turns for the worse in the first quarter, perhaps due to the complete collapse of the Euro or some military action by Iran.

4. The powers that be in the GOP enlist Jeb Bush, Rudy Giuliani or Colin Powell or someone of that old-school, established ilk to step in and save their bacon (I don't see how Ryan has the national gravitas to be a late, game-saving candidate).

Two wildcards: 1. I get the sense that the economy is actually turning around (drill down inside the state-by-state unemployment figures and things are looking much better), so that could mean a clear Obama win and the GOP would have no reason to try and upend its applecart if it knows it's going to lose anyway.

2. Americans Elect 2012 is getting on most ballots and could prove by late spring to be the flavor-of-the-month for the media and the electorate, and I think that could spell big trouble for Obama (which is why it's being bankrolled by shady, Koch-brother and corporate elements, and is why it's drawing fire from far-left media sources and talk shows).

Do I have any proof this will happen? Of course not. Are there lots of flaws in this? Yes. But, I'm just tossing it out there as requested.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think any "game saver" would have a lot of trouble explaining why they waited this long to get in.

I think that was even an issue when Christie decided not to run.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No. Some better candidates were likely put off by Romney's head start, and/or Palin's indecision.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't think it was that at all. I think they just assumed Obama would be unbeatable and when it appeared that that might not be the case, they were too far behind in the process.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, Romney would have no use for that platform besides ass-wiping. But for Congressional and statehouse races, elements of that platform will be played up in select races all over the country.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

An incumbent Romney will be much tougher to beat in '16 than right now.

11. If Romney wins it won't be Christie as VP. No need for another Northeast guy.

It will be Ryan or Rubio - I'm guessing Rubio. Jeb Bush could be the darkhorse for VP

12. BTW - Jon Huntsman is the new Mini Ditka. Does anyone really think his support on this board is coming from registered Republicans? Or even Independents.

Draft saved Draft deleted