1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Voted For McCain in '08...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Dec 18, 2011.

?

If you voted for McCain in '08, at this moment, who are you supporting for the GOP nomination?

1. Michelle Bachmann

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Newt Gingrich

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Ron Paul

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Rick Perry

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Mitt Romney

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Other (Please Specify)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Considering Voting Democrat in the Presidential

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. Likely Won't Vote in the Presidential

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. Jon Huntsman

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Rick Santorum

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I didn't vote for McCain in '08 (or the guy who won, for that matter), but I will probably give this one a miss if Romney or Gingrich get the nod. Back to the write-in.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There seems to be party-wide sense of resignation rather than enthusiasm, certainly.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - With Chris Christie there would have been great enthusiasm.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True, but once a nominee is decided upon, people will get behind him. Defeating Obama is enough of a common goal to do that.

In 2000, GWB got 50.4M votes. He got 62M in 2004.

John McCain was loved by no one. The Conservative base barely tolerated him. Independents saw him as old and/or someone who had compromised his principles to win the GOP nomination. And, he still got 59.9M votes!

Romney will get around 60M votes. That's a ton of votes. Will it be enough? How many will come out for Obama? How many will vote third party?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Unless something drastically changes with GOP offering I will be voting for Obama.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It sucks that someone deciding to run for President 11 months before the election is a "late" entrant.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's whistling in the dark. He wishes.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What supposed savior is Brooks waiting for?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hopefully, not Bloomberg. Maybe Christie. Maybe Daniels.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ron Paul will be 77 years old on Election Day 2012. The sum total of his message is "the government is never ever going to do anything for you for the rest of your lives." Where do you get this idiot notion there is some huge groundswell of college kids behind him?

The most important job of the Vice President is to not die if the President does. Ron Paul will be 77 years old on Election Day 2012.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Who would have ever thought we'd have the U.S. Supreme Court ultimately decide a Presidential, as it did in Bush/Gore 2000?

Who would have ever thought a major party's nominee wouldn't be decided until the June before the election-- and that person would end up winning?

The next wild-n-wooly thing to happen has to be brokered convention! C'mon! How fun would that be?

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I wanted to pick Gingrich in this poll but my dad (who never turns it from FOX News) was here this morning with me and we watched Newt on Face the Nation. Bob Scheifer questioned whether Newt thought the president occasionally should be of the mind to go against what the Supreme Court ruled.
    I didn't detect a straight answer from Newt and personally feel that the Court's rulings should be final and mandatory to follow.
    So does my dad.

As someone here asked earlier, is this the best collection of candidates the GOP can put forward?

Draft saved Draft deleted