1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you visit National Parks, you are a bad person

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. You're getting into academic territory some people can't handle.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Rescue Me was the last firefighter show I watched on TV.

It had both black and Hispanic firefighters. The black firefighter was, in fact, dating a white firefighter's daughter.

So does popular culture count in this?

So maybe it isn't a problem, just like attendance at national parks.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The question should be asked of the non-whites "Why don't you utilize the National Parks more?"
    National Parks have equal access to all. The "problem" isn't with the NPS. The "problem" is with those who chose not to take advantage.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I don't see a lot of black guys and Hispanics out deer hunting in Pennsylvania during the fall. Clearly we need to privatize the state game commission so that they can figure out a way to reach all demographics.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe they choose not to take advantage because they think being in the wilderness sucks and is a stupid waste of time. That's not a "problem," that's a "preference."

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I was extending a hypothetical to show why individual choice isn't always the deciding factor. I am in no way qualified to give an example of whether or not African American children have adequate firefighting role models.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My point exactly - other than the being out in the wilderness sucking part. Just because people chose not to go, don't put the blame back on the provider.

Draft saved Draft deleted