1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you visit National Parks, you are a bad person

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

I bet the percentage of Americans of any color that visit a national park in their life is low.

Giving over the national parks to a private entity would ensure that they would not remain parks very long. Epically bad idea. All IMO of course.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's one of the central goals of The Conspiracy -- to slice, dice, carve up and sell off the park system.

They're very careful not to talk much about it in mixed company, but it's still high on their wish list. When they gain power in state legislatures, it's one of the first things they do.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Privatizing the national parks is such a bad idea, I'm just going to assume it's a really bad troll job intended to see how long the thread would last.

TR's idea was to preserve some of our most beautiful natural landscapes and make them aceesible for all to enjoy. Preservation first, access second.

Privatizing would mean profit becomes the No. 1 motivation. If preservation does not maximize profit, then preservation would cease to be a priority.

That would not be a good thing.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Currently, the Parks are the equivalent of private, subsidized, playgrounds for rich, white folks.

The NPS has been unable to solve this problem, despite its best efforts, for 40 years. They are clearly incapable of solving the problem.

Private management of the Parks would not mean private ownership, a lack of preservation, or any restriction of access.

Private companies -- even non-profits -- could manage the parks better, provide amenities folks want -- like wifi -- market the Parks better, and increase revenue.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They should have privatized Yosemite back in the day. If they had listened to the smart people, we'd have an amusement park AND a for-profit water company.

But that fucking John Muir had to go and get all tree-huggy.

6. BrianGriffin

You can repeat that line all you want, but it's still bullshite.

Starting with the fact that the parks were created first and foremost for conservationist reasons, not as marketable playgrounds. The access to them is secondary to the conservation and that is still true today and should still be true today.

You are acting as if these are failing theme parks.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I, for one, can't wait until we introduce cell tower tree to our national parks.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not the one who identified this as a problem. The NPS did -- 40 years ago.

Have they been able to address this problem in a meaningful way in the last 40 years?

Meanwhile, we continue to subsidize the Parks as theme parks for rich, white folk.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"If people don't wanna go, you can't stop 'em." -- Yogi

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good thing the federal government doesn't provide any other subsidies for rich, white folks and/or their companies ... :p

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Class Warfare!

12. BrianGriffin

By your logic, if not enough black folks visit the capitol, we should cease to have congress.

Draft saved Draft deleted