1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you visit National Parks, you are a bad person

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For instance, look at the newspaper industry and the way they've solved their problems by taking away those weeks of vacation. The increased productivity has saved the industry. I see what you're saying.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if unemployment goes down, more vacation time should be added?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He also started the trend of sissifying football by eliminating the flying wedge, which was the precursor to all this namby-pamby talk about concussions.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He also was responsible for adoption of the forward pass, which enjoyed about 100 years of progress until Tebow got an NFL contract.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Racist government of the United States intentionally placed large National Parks such as Yosemite and Olympia in places they knew brown skinned people would not visit.
    I remember the debate in Congress about whether the Grand Canyon should be placed in the southwest United States or near Camden, New Jersey

In hindsight the Grand Canyon was wrongly sited

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Mother Nature wears a swastika.

8. Morris816

Morris816 Member

So if we want to jump start an economy, make sure nobody gets time off from work. That seems to be your logic here.

Unless the Netherlands' mandated time off isn't PAID time off, in which case that less salary the workers get for the entire year, meaning that much less money they have to spend. So maybe it is a factor in that case.

But I'm supposed to get two weeks paid vacation and three paid personal days per year, yet somehow, that is keeping somebody else from being employed. Yeah, I totally get that. ::)

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Absolutely, because nobody makes a living from tourism, you know, an industry fueled by people spending money while on vacation.

Middle class and those in service industries should work 52 weeks of the year. Only the 1% should get time off their jobs because they are God's chosen people and the job creators.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

His argument is that whether or not people get paid vacation should be negotiated between them and their employers and not mandated by the government, I would imagine.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jesus, ya'll need to get a grip.

My "logic here" is that in what is a PRIVATE transaction, negotiate freely for whatever pay and benefits package your skills dictate. You have my blessing, just as I hope I have yours.

Negotiate for 11 months of paid leave a year at twice your rate, if your worth to someone can net you those terms. Bless you and your ability to command that.

Supply (of a skill) and demand (for that skill) are a market, just like any other market. The price -- or wage and benefits -- for that skill is a function of supply and demand.

Government-imposed price floors, though? -- for example, the wage or benefits package you must pay people, being imposed by regulation -- drive the price of that labor up beyond where the equilibrium point would be if each party just employed the leverage they bring to the table on their own.

That is not good for economic growth. Not in a growing economy, and not in an economy that is shrinking, the way the Dutch economy has been.

In a growing economy, it limits the amount of growth. In a contracting economy, it makes it harder to dig your way out and create growth again.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No offense to Moddy, but the first time I saw this thread I read it as "If you visit Nationals Park, you are a bad person." :D

Draft saved Draft deleted