1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you use AP baseball capsules, wrong Tigers-Rays game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They had Saturday's game in tonight's. They just subbed after I called them, but the 2nd lead just says "Eds: Adds Sunday’s Tigers-Rays game." Not subs Tigers-Rays.
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think we should have a Running AP error alert thread. Though I almost never check this site when at work, others do, obviously. Maybe this could be it?
  3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's not a bad idea. I didn't start the thread because I wanted to mock AP over a mistake that could happen to many people. But I thought it was a complete dickhead move by the AP person to say "Adds" game rather than "corrects." Because that way people who had used the previous version would think, oh, we already have the Tigers game and wouldn't sub in the correct one. Of course, we should never trust AP anyway and doublecheck the scores, which is how I caught it in slot. When I questioned it, the copy editor told me it came from the capsules.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the head's up. It's not something we normally check, but we may have to start ... now.

The other night there were several photos from the swimming trials in Omaha with the wrong day and date, so I called the photo desk in New York. Apparently they were sending live from the scene and the desk coudln't flag them, but within the next couple of hours I saw just about every photo in question had been resent with the correct info.
  5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be a good thread and it would get long in a hurry.
Draft saved Draft deleted