1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You thought Ashton Kutcher Was Odd Casting...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael_ Gee, May 13, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Reading Variety as part of my day job five minutes ago, I was informed that Bill Murray has been cast in a movie in pre-production.
    He will play Franklin Delano Roosevelt. And it's not a comedy. Quite a promotion from assistant greenskeeper.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Murray has proven himself to be a hell of a wide-ranging actor in the last decade or so, IMO.

3. Michael_ Gee

Yes, he has. But playing a historical figure, particularly a U.S. President, is a real leap. It's not that Murray can't do it, it's the risk audiences will look at him and see Bill Murray, not FDR.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So Murray is playing FDR and DiCaprio is playing Teddy.

Strange Days...

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't even know if audiences look at Bill Murray and see Bill Murray anymore. His appearance has changed pretty dramatically, and not for the better.

6. Michael_ Gee

How is DiCaprio gonns gain the weight he needs for Teddy? Ask DeNiro how he did it for Raging Bull?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

From what I've read on Dateline Hollywood - Murray has been pushing for the role - and it may be the carrot that gets him to do another Ghostbusters movie.

8. Mizzougrad96

Murray was on Stern a few months back and they were asking him about Ghostbusters 3 and he seemed so genuinely disinterested in it that it was kind of refreshing.

I'm sure he'll do it eventually.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think Aykroyd actually has a much better resemblance for FDR.

10. Mizzougrad96

I wonder who will be the first former SNL cast member to win an acting Oscar. Seems funny that the In Living Color cast has one and SNL has been shut out, although Murray, Aykroyd, Joan Cusack, Downey, Murphy (I may be forgetting one...) have all been nominated.

11. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Randy Quaid.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll take Robert Downey Jr.

Draft saved Draft deleted