1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you take two sh***y airlines and turn them into one sh***y airline...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 3, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bydesign just threw someone off a flight for giving a dirty look and doesn't know why.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I liked CO and put up with United only because it's the biggest carrier here at 5,280 feet, though Southwest is starting to fly to more places nonstop that I would go to. I like the fact the CEO of CO will be running things, so hopefully things won't get messed up.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

CO still has a ton of pilots & flight attendants who commute out of DEN from back when they had a hub there.

They will be thrilled by this merger.

They're mostly older and will have seniority, meaning they will be able to choose the base they fly from.

If you're flying out of DEN, you'll probably have a lot of CO crews flying you in the near future.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how they merge their seniority lists, usually a big bone of contention between employee groups that can have a devestating effect on morale.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Have never flown either of these, since Northwest, Sun country and Delta have always had better deals between NYC and Minnesota and we take Delta or SAA to South Africa. But after Delta and Northwest became NorthDelta or whatever, it sucked that their prices were always identical, for the most part, on flights between NYC and MSP. There used to be a fairly substantial difference between the two and you could get a good deal, but no more.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You could have ended this at "the Lorenzo years..."

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lorenzo continued to fly for free on CO, so he would frequently be seen on flights.

Employees still hate/hated him.

My understanding is that he never ate or drank anything served to him onboard.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The "We're a business airline, and who are you, little man" attitude
    has been perfected at American, but its broadest application remains
    solidly entrenched at United. Over the years, Continental has
    been an infinitely-friendlier experience, though there are always
    isolated issues (a flight attendant tussling with a paying passenger
    over overhead space for their individual bags? Eat me).

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

From Tuesday's WSJ:

They also plan to maintain all eight of their U.S. hubs in the combined airline. Continental will contribute its hubs in Newark, Houston and Cleveland; United has hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No way in hell they keep eight hubs for an extended period of time. My guess is Cleveland, Denver & one of the Cali hubs disappears in the near future.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. It's almost like United employees expect you to act like its a privilege to fly their airline.

And I don't care what they say--Cleveland as a hub is a goner. Just a matter of time.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That would seem to undermine a lot of the cost savings that are the primary reason for doing this. So it's obviously BS. Cleveland's gone, as already said, and at least one more. DC, maybe?

Draft saved Draft deleted