1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"If you must Snowfall, please Snowfall in moderation"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Aug 15, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More proof that Slate reads SportsJournalists.com:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/08/snow_fall_the_jockey_the_scourge_of_the_new_york_times_bell_and_whistle.html

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Agree completely.

But the problem with "Snowfall" is it ruined things for the rest of us.

Podunk Press Publisher: "Did you see this 'Snowfall' thing The New York Times did?! We need to do something like that!!"

Nobody would dare compare the quality of writing/reporting of the NYT to the Podunk Press — everyone knows that, overall, the NYT has superior talent and resources.

But when it comes to the web, few decision makers at traditional media outlets know enough to compare apples to apples.

Sure, we'll get right on that, just as soon as you hire us a videographer, web developer, animator, graphic designer and upgrade our computers from those Gateways we work on. In the meantime, the best our system allows for is a photo gallery.

I manage a little Wordpress website for a local nonprofit I'm involved with. Some idiot consultant came around not long ago and suggested we needed to enhance our site by "creating interactive graphics, similar to what The New York Times does." SMDH.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I still find it a little ridiculous that Snowfall won a Pulitzer for feature WRITING.

It was a fascinating multi-media presentation, worthy of high praise for its vision and derring-do. It was not amazing feature writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted