1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you liked New Coke in 1985, guess what: here comes New Coke Zero.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 26, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Crystal Light has been huge in keeping me off soda. It's all I drink at home and I keep the little packets at work to mix into water bottles.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Drank a lot of Coke Zero, then switched to Pepsi Max. But that was hard to find, to the point I think Pepsi has killed it off (at least in my region). So went to Diet Pepsi -- but out of the bottles only. I've found I dislike the taste of pretty much every soda out of cans.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Pepsi changed Pepsi Max to Pepsi Zero. Similar design. It was hard to find where I am when Pepsi made the name change.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I called it a day with every day consumption of pop years ago when a can of Coke at lunch made me feel awful. When I started in my current gig I allowed myself one can of Dr Pepper a week - usually on a Friday afternoon - but haven't had one of those in ages. The hockey business runs on coffee - and I drink plenty of that in the mornings - but there are people here who are cranking back pop as soon as they get in the office. I could never do that.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Can't believe I didn't see this until today and I am sort of worried. I'd always been a couple of Cokes a day kind of guy. Never liked Diet Coke. Tried my first Coke Zero, I don't know, late 2006 or early 2007 and have never looked back. Don't really drink any other kind of pop and when I once drank regular Coke pretty seriously I can barely choke down one can now. But Coke Zero is a much different story.

Like others have said about themselves, it's my vice and there are surely worse vices out there. I actually know restaurants and entertainment establishments like movie theaters that serve it and will choose those over other places (much to my wife's eye rolling). It's already stockpiled but I wonder how much more I am going to need to do.

If they fucked this up I am not going to be a happy person. I guess a good thing is it could make me stop drinking pop, but I am not ready to finish my enjoyment of Coke Zero just yet and definitely not for a dumb marketing scheme where a bazillion dollar company decides they need to fix something that isn't broken. Why do these so smart companies constantly do crap like that?

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

As confidence in Coke Zero wanes, Pepsi realizes it has an opportunity and will try to capture market share by reintroducing...

[​IMG]

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well, I've had three Cherry Coke Zeroes since noon. It's like my body is telling me I have to feed it now, while I still can.

Roscablo likes this.
  8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm trying the new Coke Zero right now, and I haven't noticed much difference. But the real test for me will be if I find a Cherry version.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was on sale at the grocery store the other day, so I bought some. It's fine.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One thing about (now 'original') Coke Zero: it does not keep well.

Old school original Coke would keep literally for years if you kept it temperature and light stable (preferably cool and dark). Coke Zero goes to shit after about 90 days (much faster if its temperature cycled).

So the stockpilers are probably SOL.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Don't treat soda, live longer. A public service message from a guy who still loves a Mello Yellow when he's hung over.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It was OK, not great to me. A little sweeter, which honestly not a fan of and that's what I was worried about. Not the same, not terrible. I probably wouldn't choose it if I had to. Maybe I'd get used to it. I don't know.

All my stores still have Coke Zero. I've stock piled some and probably will a little more, but having a year's worth or something really isn't in the cards. I agree it doesn't always keep well but I think it's hit and miss and which packages will skunk out. So I want to have some available for a while before I cave and actually buy a 12-pack of the new stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted