1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you liked New Coke in 1985, guess what: here comes New Coke Zero.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Because despite all those stories about people not losing weight drinking diet pop (and I believe the studies given most people eat more just because they feel like they can given they drink the diet option), I've actually lost weight and kept it off drinking it.

SpeedTchr and Dick Whitman like this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm glad it worked for you; I guess it tastes too lousy for me to drink when I'm trying to give up the sugar-filled soda.

My go-to (besides water) are those ICE drinks, which I'm sure have nasty chemicals gallore. But hey, zero calories and they taste decent!

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It took weeks and weeks of drinking Diet Coke to learn to like it. I had to get it really, really cold for it to be drinkable.

I recognize I'm a rarity. For many people, they may as well drink the drink they like if they're going to drink the Diet Coke alongside the large fry and double Quarter Pounder.

Dyno and I Should Coco like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. Change my current diet soda rotation to regular soda, and that's about 1,200 of my recommended 2,000 calories a day. Doesn't leave much room for food.

2. Taste is a temporary thing. Once you find a diet soda you like for awhile, its regular equivalent tastes like syrup.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm with @Hermes on this one. There is nothing I have seen that legitimately indicates that aspartame or any other ingredient in Diet Coke is "bad for you." I weigh a robust 155 pounds at 5-foot-9 and I'm in great aerobic shape, as well, so it clearly works to keep the calories down.

The wife really used to get on me about it, too. She's a bit of a GMO-organic food-head, though she's backed off that a little the last few years because it's exhausting to try to be perfect. But if she had to choose me getting off the Diet Coke or the Wild Turkey, I'm still sure she would choose the Diet Coke 10 times out of 10.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't care if I'm eating an entire frosted chocolate cake with my bare hands or if I'm eating celery sticks - I'm drinking a Diet Coke with it because I like how it tastes, not because of the calories saved.

Amy, SpeedTchr and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ironically, putting the Diet Coke in that chocolate cake makes it moister and better.

Dyno likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Coke from the 80's is far better than the stepped on crap you get these days.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

FTFY

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Even pure organic natural fruit juice is mainly sugar water.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yeah! Those dum-dums at Coke!
    No wonder their company is in the tank!
    You should be a CEO, Star!

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I have a friend in Missouri who is addicted to Tab. But it's not available where he lives so he drives something like 45 miles to Kansas City and back and stocks up on six 12-packs at a time.

I've switched back-and-fourth from diet to regular soda a couple of times. What I've noticed when I drink diet sodas for an extended period of time was that I got a sort of "phantom hunger," even after I have just eaten. It felt like I was starving, so I was snacking more. When I drink regular soda, I don't get that feeling, so I snack less.

I suppose I could switch to other kinds or drinks or just give it up and switch to water but I'm basically addicted to Dr Pepper in all its forms.

Draft saved Draft deleted