1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you left the journalism biz today ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Willie-Butch, Jul 23, 2007.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Teaching journalism at my alma mater.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No offense, Point of Order, but why are you settling for your third choice when openings are abundant for your first two?

Seriously, people, does our society need one more lawyer? What's the purpose? Who needs to be sued that already isn't getting sued? Where I come from, a life well-lived is one that never, ever requires the services of a lawyer. Be a man, keep your word, try to do the right thing. Who needs a mouthpiece?

Those of you who want to teach, for a fraction of the pay (unfortunately) that another shyster might make, would contribute more in a day than most lawyers truly contribute in a year or a career. Putting out beach umbrellas and mowing greens would contribute more, too.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Uh, maybe he wants to actually MAKE some money?!?!?!

I don't know why anyone would want to become a teacher. Except for summers off, there is nothing about this job that seems good or rewarding to me.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Beer taster in Chippewa Falls.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm doing my top 4 in reverse order. :) (By the way, I never said I wanted to be a lawyer. I'm not sure about that yet. One reason I'm going to law school is to protect myself from other lawyers. )

But when it comes down to it, I want to go to law school for the same reason I wanted to be a journalist. I have a genuinely altruistic nature, but unfortunately I'm no longer naive. A lot of us become very bitter journalists because we see something we once viewed as pure as really quite polluted. I have definitely flirted with bitterness, but I leave the business instead with a sense of great accomplishment in what I have done. I've told the truth. I've brought some powerful people to account for their actions. I've told some very redeeming stories as well. I can't leave thinking that college athletics is all good or all bad. There are tons of both. I feel like I've painted a pretty good picture of all of it, though.

Journalists should be advocates for their readers, but many of us burn out. I view being a lawyer similarly. Advocate for principles and people you believe in. I think I've done good as a journalist. Hopefully, law school will give me the tools to keep doing what I've been doing, only with a much broader scope.

If not, I'll go cut grass.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Not sure what you make now but nine years ago when I was working on the outskirts of Dallas-Fort Worth, Jack in the Box was hiring managers for $31,500, which was significantly more than I was making at the time and $100 less than what the Morning News was starting its reporters. So you've obviously done your homework.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

You know sometimes it's better to accept that some things in life are out of your reach and dream about what could have been.

So I didn't apply. Afraid of rejection and all.

It's highly entertaining to me that a Cooley joke has made it's way to SportsJournalists.com

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Not what you want to do. At least, I tried working at Target and couldn't stand it. Plus, pay is shit and that's compared to journalism.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Everyone should go into car sales at least once. The hours are about the same, the hassles are about the same, the benefits are about the same but, the pay is better (if you make commission) and you get a demo car.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Eventually, I'll probably teach. I'll probably get my teaching certificates before I start having kids and then teach so I can be around while they're growing up.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Do we know that he's Jewish?

12. Hey, not everyone can get into the 16th-rated law school in the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted